1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Special One Finished

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Worshiper, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    My dad and I used to build instruments together but sadly he passed away 2 years ago. I haven't done much in the way of building sense then, just a few small projects here and there (repairs, setups, finishing a few older projects). However, I know that my dad would have wanted me to continue doing what I love. So, after a purchasing a few new tools in order to update the old shop, I was able to make a guitar for one of my best friends. This was the first (but I ensure you it will not be the last) instrument I have built sense my dad has passed away.

So just a bit more background: my friend has been so good to me and has encouraged my music obsession, as he is obsessed as well. He is one of the worship leaders at our church (True North) and he had a few particulars that he always mentioned that he wanted in an instrument. He loved this old strat that he had made by this Korean company "Vester." He bought the guitar for $200 dollars and hated how the pickups sounded, so he replaced them with nicer ones. The neck on it was amazing though. It has a lot of "personality ;)." So eventually we decided to embark on creating him an instrument and get me back into what I love doing.

We kept the neck, and pickups, and gave him a strat setup on an alder tele body. It has a great figured alder top too.

As far as electronics, we also threw in a piezo bridge pickup (L.R. Baggs T-bridge) so he could switch mid song or in between songs from an acoustic instrument to an electric.

So finally, she is done. She sounds AMAZING!! I don't want to boast...but I am SO happy with how it came out...

And for all you bass players (myself included) I will be posting progress pics shortly of my new singlecut bass in the works...

By the way...sorry about the crappy quality images...I'll have a friend take them properly eventually...

I'M BACK BABY!!!!!! :D:D:p:smug:;):bassist:

000_0035.

000_0036.

000_0037.

000_0042.

000_0040.

2. Very sorry for your loss, but congratulations on picking up the building again! the guitar came out amazing!

3. Jonsbasses

Jonsbasses

Oct 21, 2006
    Fort Worth, TX
    Builder: Jon's Basses
    Congratulations on the amazing build, I really like it! But I'm a sucker for just about any kind of single cut instrument. Keep up the good work.

4. bassnug47

bassnug47

Oct 7, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    life is good, Dead is better
    awesome, but the pickgaurd doesnt follow the lower horn so well, still looks sweet though

5. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    nice backside;)

6. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Thanks guys...great to hear you like it...

As far as the lower horn, we opted not to change the shape of the pickguard. Anything else would have looked very out of place...

7. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Nice axe... :)