1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Spinal tap moment for me...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Blazer, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Okay let me explain something first, my now defunct band Slavantas had a crew: a sound guy and three roadies, one of which was very lousy at being a roadie.

Because in addition to being a slacker, at performances when I'd ask him to get my amp from the car, he just took it out of my car and left it there in the parking lot, it never even occurred to him that he should bring it inside the venue. He also frequently got Jacques' guitars into my gig bags and vice-versa and he unplugged my guitar from my amp seconds before we started to play, making me start a song and having no sound. And he once scared our singer to death in his new car: this guy has driven cars with automatic gearboxes all his life and bought himself a manual transmission car and almost caused three crashes when driving our singer home.

About a month ago during what turned out to be one of our very last rehearsals, we had that lousy roadie there and he told us that he was going to have a party very soon. He asked us if we wanted to play and because we did not yet have any idea of what was about to happen a few weeks later we said "Sure, it'd be fun."

Now imagine my surprise when I saw our former sound guy today, he was there when the whole thing fell apart, he knows everything that happened and also knows that we wouldn't play a final gig. He walked up to me and handed me a flyer which stated that we were going to play at that party of our lousy roadie.

We notified EVERYBODY in our crew that we were calling it quits. Be it through phoning them up, sending them an e-mail or just by telling them in person. But apparently our lousy roadie isn't just lousy at being a roadie: he's also lousy at checking his e-mail and Voice mail messages.

What a Spinal tap moment: our lousy roadie has made flyers promoting a performance that will never take place because he never checked to see if we were still around...

2. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Well that's "leaving them wanting more" taken to the extreme then...

3. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    I would have left him in the parking lot.

4. I thought you were going to say that your drummer spontaneously combusted. Again.