Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A standard groove

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by the-lizard-king, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Hey guys,
    Do you have a standard groove that you like to use?
    Say you are asked to play a gig with a band but you dont know their material, what would be a groove that sounds good and can fit most songs?
    If you are playing with people and you dont know the song, and you dont want to just play along with the guitar changes, you want to play something that sounds cool and stands out what would you play? 12 bar blues?
    Jim

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well this sounds like a recipe for disaster or at least never being invited back! ;)

If you are playing with people then you have to go with what they're doing and to play some pre-determined idea, regardless of what else is going on around you is not making music, IMO.

"A groove that fits with most songs!" !! - this is just completely unrealistic or at best a total fantasy. :rolleyes:

But then if I went to a gig and saw a band with a bass player who obviously didn't know the songs, or what to play, then I would walk out straight away - a jam session is a jam session and a gig is a gig!!

3. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    uh, i really can't see a 12-bar blues working real well over double-kick drumming and detuned riffage :D although if what you mean is, "is there a lick that you like to pull out every now and again" then yeah .. :D

G----------5h6p5-------------------
    D-----5-8---------8-5---8-5-5~---
    A-5-8------------------8------------
    E------------------------------------

however, due to the crappiness of tab, you probably have no idea how this goes :p but i like to use it to finish up a passage or something when jamming with some fresh meat ;)

4. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Right on Bruce. I think this goes back to a discussion about knowing some basic musical theory. I'm no expert and just started back on lessons but I could play basic chords over a progression to at least help me rough it out. Also that would help me know where to put transitions and fills. I don't think you could just play something over what ever else is going on in the band.

5. Ok, its not a gig just a jam session, and the guitarists are soloing, and not following any pattern, just going where they want, but you still have to build the foundation to the music, what do you play? Thats what I meant. The bassist has to control the direction of the music, what do you play to maintain the groove and rhythm of the music? To reign in the other musicians? I just used 12 bar as an example because its something any musician can play to.

Tones, thats not a bad lick!
    Jim

6. I have yet to go to a jam session where the guitarist is just "widdling", they usually jam over some structure, maybe the chord progression to some rock or jazz tune. BTW, I once did a duo gig with a pianist, and he said "let's just jam over D, C, G, A". So we did. When we finished, a drunk who was leaning on the piano said " Ya know, that's my fav'rit toon in the whooooole world" !! We had to have a break to recover from our hysterical giggles!

7. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Unfortunately I've played with some guitarists, not in a professional setting, who were just "noodling" around. Yeah they sounded great and they were loud but I couldn't play anything with them. 1) Because they wouldn't stop soloing and 2) They couldn't tell me what they were playing. Some people forget the "band" concept.

8. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    particularly guitarists, mainly the younger guys who just want to sit there and play Hammet solo's all day (well, try to anyway :p) anyone else experienced the difficulty of jamming with a mature guitarist who knows when to step up and when to riff or play a simple chord progression ? i mean, as bass players there's plenty of oppurtunity for us to funk our nuts off if we wanted to, but we don't 'coz we know our role (most of us, anyway :D) .. so why can't guitarists keep it under wraps ?