Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A story and a lesson learnt

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dell, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Dell

Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    As some of you may know, I have use a Hiwatt valve head. I had a gig friday night, and after soundcheck I unplugged the head from the cabs, unplugged the power cord and wrapped it around the handle of the cab (i had 2 hours to go befor eI was on stage). I then went and got a pint and started chatting to people.

I looked up at the stage half hour later and the lights were on on my head! my heart went into my mouth and I flew up to the stage and sure enough someone had plugged it in and turned it on, both power and standby, without any of the cabs attatched. Nobody seemed to have any idea of who done it, but thankfully the head is fine. I will not be leaving a power cord in sight next time! People are obviously stupid.

Anyway kids, Dont give anyone an excuse to touch your valve heads! blown transformers are not good and I guess Im very lucky to still have my hiwatt intact.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, I don't plug my power cords into the head or the wall until the my cabs are plugged in...and the first thing I do when I'm done is unplug the power cord and stow it so that couldn't happen.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    People have no respect...

4. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    yah... I played a theatre show last Thursday (second act so gear gets hauled off stage after the set)... so I stick around for the last band (who turned out to be pretty good BTW). Go back stage to get my gear and find that some f**k stuck their gum on the side of my head...

SM

5. I hate people who come to touch my gears....
    I really can't stand that!

6. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I've become super paranoid of my gear. Especially in situations where I have to leave it out. I'm doing a theater show right now and I leave my trace V-type 300h/Schroeder 1210 setup when I leave. The Schroeder is on its side back by the drummer as the setup is a little strange and the head is over near where I sit. Even after a single set, I go over there and there are crumbs all over my Schroeder. Apparently someone had used it as a table so they could eat their sandwich.

Now after every show, I set my schroeder back down, put on the cover, and stuff it underneath the organ (the only good hiding place). My head is stacked underneath my guitar players head and on top of a pa monitor, so I can't really move it. I worry about it every night in between shows.

I always respect other peoples gear. I also know I come off as rude when people ask me to play my bass and I tell them "no" or I ask them if they actually play bass. If I do let them, I make them wash their hands first. I had some kid after the play come up and start playing with my Turner EL-535 while I went backstage for intermission. I came out and reprimanded him, to which he apologized and then picked up his BUTTERED POPCORN and walked away. Sure enough, greasy butter prints all over my baby. I was steaming. Now that bass comes with me wherever I go, even if it's just backstage.