Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A story you'll find hard to believe.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Today, at lunch time, I went up to the gas station near my office to get fuel for my car. (The gas station's conveniently located next to a good taco shop.) Anyway, I started pumping my gas and, about five minutes later, I noticed only about 5 gallons had been pumped. So I got disgusted, and walked around to sit in my car while that lame-ass pump gobbled up my lunch hour.

When I got in the car, I decided to listen to a practice CD of some new songs we're adding, just to figure out the changes. I cranked it up, and it was the Doobie Brothers' "Take Me In Your Arms" (an Isley Brothers cover). Meanwhile, I was watching the guy on the other side of the pump, a guy with a long, white ponytail and a big bushy white mustache. Pretty soon, he hears my CD blasting away, and he comes over and says, "That's one of my songs." I said, "What do you mean?" He said, "I used to play with the Doobie Brothers." Then I recognized him. I said, "You're not Jeff Baxter, are you?" He says, "Yeah."

I was so blown away, I could barely talk. I asked him what in the heck he was doing in these parts, and he showed me his employee badge: General Atomics. He says, "Yeah, I'm working on high-energy lasers." Turns out, he's a whiz on missile defense systems, and consults with congress and the Pentagon on defense issues. Oh, you don't believe me? Do a Google search on him.

My feet haven't touched the ground since noon.

2. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yeah, but he doesn't belong in the Doobies. And neither does that dorky John McFee. And whatever happened to Tiran Porter? I mean, Skylark's OK, but Tiran is a Brother. That's all.

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Cool for you Munji. I knew about his missle defense stuff because he comes out to Washington DC quite a bit. The drummer in my band who is a government contractor had the wonderful opportunity to meet with him for business. He told me that he was a real nice guy and very knowledgeable. It always nice to see a guy with a life after being a pro musician, as opposed to being in rehab or something like that.

4. So Munji, does everyone in San Diego work in a defense- or tourism-related business? It really seems that way.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, I guess as long as you got a taco, it was a good day.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I find that hard to believe.

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    That and biotech.

8. Oh yeah. Wasn't that crazy Mormon dude who had a battalion-level weapons depot buried in his backyard a Diegaño? I know he was a biotech researcher who had previously worked for the CIA, parachuting into Angolan battlefields to get tissue samples from dead Cuban soldiers to find out what vaccines the Soviet bloc was using against biological warfare agents... :bag:

9. Yeah, I was watching a director's commentary on one of the King of the Hill episodes for which Skunk did the soundtrack, and the director mentioned that government laser thing.

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Oh yeah ... that guy. He lives just up the street from me.

11. Heh, he kinda killed himself. Nice try, though, Munji.

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Oh yeah ... I was thinking of another guy just like that.

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Was he wearing his trademark beret?

Skunk was on C-span a few nights ago. It was a presentation on the social/political impact of Rock music.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Everyone has one of those guys in their neighborhood, am I right?

In my neighborhood I'm 'that guy'.

brad cook

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    little did he know that HE was talking to........

16. thats cool...there's no famous people in Maryland except...wait,nevermind.:meh:

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I saw the Doobie Brothers play live at a REALLY small little place, Chataqua Institute. I used to go there every summer with my friend, and one of the summers i saw them and Abba.

18. tea

tea

Sep 30, 2003
    Maryland
    osama, the bassist from jimmy's chicken shack can be found in the towson guitar center often...that being said he was one of the rudest, most egotistical musicians I've ever met...and he doesn't even play guitar!:meh:

19. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin