Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Strange Fender JAzz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Feb 9, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    today i have been to a shop and i bought a cab. there was a strange to me bass. It's a Fender Jazz bass 5 strings. it is MIA with a little smaller headstock and a futuristic style jazz bass logo. it is equippend with two jazz style pickups without exposed pole pieces, i looked closer and the pickups are Lace sensor. the bass is black with rosewood fingerboard without pickguard and with 3 concentric knob controls. which model was that? do you have pics of a similar bass? it was on sale for the corrispective of 700 us $.

thanks

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    found pics!!!

it was ideantical to this one!

[​IMG]

can you comment the sound of this bass?

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I've seen those before, I believe they are an early to mid '90's model, they may have started it in the late '80's. I don't know if it ever had a specific model name. Sorry I couldn't be more help, maybe the fender forum people could help? I don't have the link, maybe someone else will...

P@

4. well i found one of these in a local shop. I playued it and the B string was like 3 times louder then any of the other strings.. other then that it sounded good.. if the strings were the same volume level it would have been mine.

5. that is a fender jazz bass plus, they made four string models too . i believe they have active electronics

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Looks like my '94 American Jazz Bass Deluxe V. Mine's got the Lace Sensors, concentric volume/blend and treble/bass, plus a four-position rotary switch that picks passive, active, mixed and off. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    It's a Fender Jass Bass Plus V. They were built from approx. 1988-'94 as the "modern" Jazz bass (downsized body, tight string spacing, active electronics). They were standard alder-bodied/rosewood fretboard, with an ash body as an $100 upcharge (and the rare maple neck on a four-string). You're right, the pickups were Lace-sensors, but what I find interesting is the electronics, which are from the Kubicki Factor Basses (Fender was building for Philip Kubicki in the late 80's-early 90's). I've heard from owners that it's extremely flexable, allowing from close to a vintage Jazz growl to a modern active punch. I can't comment on exchange rates, but they've typically been selling here on average of $500 USD.

harley_ou812 - I'm just theorizing, but I think I may know what could have caused your "huge B" sound. One of the positions on the rotary switch is for an active mid-boost controlled by a trim pot inside the electronics. If the pot was boosted to full, I could see that causing your "big bottom" (+2, Tap reference ;) )

Munjibunga - If you ever have the need to sell her, please PM me. I've said it before, but that's one of the sweetest bursts I've ever seen. :D

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That $700 is a bit too much. I've found about 3 of them ranging from $350 - $500.

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    yes woodchuck, but i live in italy.... and i'm afraid to tell you how much a new American fenderjazz deluxe could cost!

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Whoa, I understand!