Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A strange new pet

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Mar 15, 2003.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    today, I got a new pet:)

By accident.

I went out to run some errands, and one of them was to pick up some food for my brother's turtle. Live food. I bought two feeder goldfish and one crayfish. The goldfish he tore apart and devoured (very graphic sight), but the Cray fish he wouldnt touch. Everytime he tried to bite it, it would poke or pinch him with its claws, and actually put up a good fight.

The turtle was rather put off by this, and left it alone. So now I have a miniature lobster in the turtle tank.

Since I couldnt take it back to the pet shop, and flushing it down the toilet wasnt an option, I decided to keep it.

I pulled out an old tiny aquarium, filled it with water, stuck in an aerator and a little plastic yogurt cup for a hut. The crayfish immediately made itself at home.

So thats my story.

Anyone have a pet crayfish, or got a pet by accident or in a strange way?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    mmmm crawdads. -slurp-

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Im sure Gard can give you a good recipe!! :)

4. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    crayfish are the cutest things. mine sleeps at the foot of my bed. Be sure you take it for plenty of walks.:D :D

5. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    I have Tur'ets too!!

Crayfish...are pot smokers! yeah! *grins*

They are hella cool beastys!

6. Well no i dont but if anyone is willing to give me a beagle... then no problems! :p

:D:D

Merls

7. i used to catch crayfish in the creek. yummy. :D shoot i wound up going to get my boys a bigger cage for their gerbils, came home with two of the cutest rats. they really are cute, blonde and white, light brown and white. just adorable. they are the small breed. sigh. :D hubby will come back from iraq and have a zoo. :D he does have a problem with rodents, lol, oh well. :D

8. When I was a wee kid in a land far away (erm, South Africa when I was ~3) we woke up one morning to find a huge green lizard eating spider in the sink in the kitchen.

So it became my pet, I named it Boris, and we fed it the lizards we caught in our kitchen. I cannot remember what happened to it. I think we let it go when we left the country.

But it was ace. Coolest pet I've ever had.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Does it count if they're living on the property but are technically free wildlife.

My G/f lives on 5 acres in a reasonably undeveloped suburb on the outskirts of Sydney. They have 3 giant goannas (6',8', and 12') that look like small crocodiles at first. They've got 2 water dragons, lots of pussums and rabbits, the occasional hawk, owl, kookaburra. They're all people friendly, have names, and come and "visit" the house regularly.

Oh I forgot abuut "Monty". Monty is a python snake that has been visiting them once a year for 20 years. They've got pictures of my G/F as a 3 year old sitting on the couch with the snake happily curled up next to her.

On the not-so-cute side, they get a few red-belly black snakes (very venomous), and rats that can chew through concrete.

10. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Guys, some very bad news.

The crayfish got eaten by the turtle today.

I was changing its water, and needed to put it somewhere. My lapse of judgment made me put it in the turtle tank. It was a good idea at the time, since yesterday the turtle was somewhat scared of the crayfish after it pinched him, so I figured it was not a problem. Even before I start changing the water, I hear thrashing coming from the turt tank, and I see the turtle challenging the crayfish. It bit the crayfish by the front of its body, then thrashed it around. I picked up the net and started beating the turtle's shell, trying to get it to undo its grip. He then used his front legs, held on to the poor crayfish, and ripped it in two.

I figured since it was already dead, Id let the turt just finish what he started.

Sad state of affairs.

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Dude why were you changing all of the water? YOu should only change 30% at a time, maybe 50% if the water is diseased. Any more than that and you're washing away the beneficial bacteria that keep the fish alive.

Chances are he wouldn't have survived the water change even if he survived the turtle.

12. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Maybe you can go get a new one to keep as a pet - they are nifty little critters, and tasty, too - assuming you don't become attached to them. ;)

I ate five pounds of boiled mudbugs last weekend :)

We have a number of commercial crawfish (crayfish) farms in the area.