Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Strange Problem With My Amp That I Think My Cable Caused

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by supernaut_1, May 20, 2003.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    ok, some time last week my friend took my cable out (which is one of those planet waves that has to be plugged in a certain way) to tune his guitar. when he put it back he put the end that should go to the speaker in my bass. i played with it like that for a few hours because i didn't know he switched it. and then my amp started cutting out and then coming back on. then i noticed it, and turned my cable back around. but now every once in a while my amp will start cutting out again and the volume generally doesn't sound as loud. at first, i thought the cable was messed up, but then i tried another cable and it did the same thing. so i know my amp has to be messed up. any suggestions or ideas? thanks.

2. :meh: Are you talking about your instrument cable (guitar --> amp) or you speaker cable (amp --> speaker)......:confused:

3. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    I think he means guitar cable.

Hey supernaut! :wave: it's Jaco from MX!

Cant help I'm afraid!

Regards

LA

4. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    yes i mean my instrument cable, one side has to be plugged into the amp and one side in my bass.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It sounds very unlikely that this would cause the problem you mention - but I have a thought.

Recently this happened to my amp - cutting out intermittently - and I discovered eventually that it was dirt or some foreign body in the effects send/return jacks!

So if you have an effects loop or tuner out, they can sometimes be set to cut out the main signal when there is anything in these other jacks and the dirt can cause this.

Try cleaning any input jacks you have and see if this makes any difference?

6. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    alright that sounds reasonable, i'll try that when i go home, thanks.

7. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    :bag: oh no you found me! haha jk. that's cool you're the second person i met here that is also from mx.

8. Is your amp a combo or head/speaker type? If it is a head/speaker type then it might be your speaker cord. The type of problem you describe is cable related almost 90% of the time.

9. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    it's a combo, peavey tnt 115.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    These planet waves cables seem to be giving a lot of pople a lot of problems.........

11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    whats a "cable"?