Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A strange story about non-strange basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayAmel, Jan 31, 2006.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi folks,

Strange story happened to me today...

Five months ago, I had ordered a bunch of Fenders (a P-Bass S1, a BG 31 and an American Stratocaster). But the dealer was very late and non-responsive at all, and being very disappointed in the meanwhile by the Jazz Bass S1 I had got from another deal, I had decided to cancel my order.

Five months then passed, and not a single news from the dealer... That was logical, since the order had been cancelled.

And today a truck stopped by my house, and here is what was delivered :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That investment was not planned anymore, but when I put my hands on these three instruments, I'm afraid I'm unable to return them.

Since I have just sold my MM SUB 5, I guess I'm going to keep them. What would you do if you were me ?

BTW, the action and finish on the three are as perfect as can be (that was not the case AT ALL with the J S1). And I just discovered, after a few minutes, how much playing an acoustic bass can instantly improve one's musical expression... I also rediscovered the pleasure of playing on 4ers (except the Strat of course, haha).

Cheers
    Jay

2. I had a similar situation with some pants from Nordstrom. I kept them and I feel a bit bad about it, but Nordstrom is a huge company and pants are cheap. In your case, I think you should probably tell the dealer what happened. That looks like a pretty expensive mistake on their part, and maybe this would be a wake-up call for them. They need to be a little more attentive.

On the other hand, that P-Bass looks like a dream. If you really want to know what to do with it, send it to me. Then everybody's happy! Or maybe just me.

3. obviously there is nothing you can do to separate yourself from these axes...even a cancelled order won't keep these things from finding "home" :)

congrats! you're now the proud papa of triplets! :D

4. steve21

steve21 Banned

So wait, are you getting charged for them or not?

If you are... keep them if you like

If you're not, keep them.

5. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    [evil walter]If you haven't recieved any angry phone calls from Fender, then it's a good bet that their mistake hasn't caused the company to go under. Keep 'em.[/evil walter]

[good walter] Of course, after I go spouting something like that, my conscience twinges, and reminds me that I'm one of the good guys, now. I'd call them and at least attempt to make payment. Maybe you get lucky and they've got no paperwork on them, in which case they won't be able to charge you, and you could keep them without fear of guilt. At the very least, trying to do the right thing may help you sleep better and enjoy the instruments more. [/good walter]

Notice, no one has suggested you send them back ;)

6. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
  7. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Two things.
    First, did you sign for them???
    Second, does "Karma" mean anything to you??

If you answered "No" to both questions, nice score buddy!!!

IF you answered "Yes" to either or both, make the call.

Have fun!!!:D

Oh yeah, Karma's a b!tch.

8. Keep them and see what happens (and save up the dough, just in case..)

I believe that they missed to cancel the order at fender, hence the instruments got delivered to you, and the bill goes to the shop as if you had paid for them there.. which is what people at fender think, I suppose. :p :D

The bill will probably slip through the shops paying system and you just scored three free instruments.

Or you could just return them?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

9. Just out of curiosity.. what happened?! Return or not?:confused:

10. I think if a company sends you stuff in the post by accident you're legally allowed to keep it, it's treated as a "gift". Happened to a guy I know, he got sent a brand new top of the line Apple laptop!

11. I love acoustic bass guitars. They sound great and they feel totally different. Playing different instruments creates different music and styles, therefore, I'd keep em if I were you.

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You didn't pay for them.

Someone may lose their job because of this mistake.

There are few things that you will be remebered by after you're gone. Two of these are your honor and integrity.

13. er...ring the shop or wherever you got them from just to say "they've arrived, thanks" THEN see if they say anything - if they just say "pleasure to be of service, thanks for calling" then you're safe, if they say "Eh? What are you talking about" then you'll have to confess...if worst comes to worst they can only:
    a) demand you send them back (which is right, as you told them you didn't want them) OR
    b) ask you for money

If you turn out to be safe then you can always tell yourself "I told them about it and no one said anything about money" if you can't sleep...

OR...ebay?

14. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    send the strat back.

keep the basses.

15. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Send any of them to me.

16. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

17. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Sorry, I'm late back on this thread, but I think something was misunderstood (or probably not accurately explained).

I had to decide whether I'd finally keep the instruments (and thus pay for them), or send them back (and thus not pay for them).

After thinking for a short while, I finally decided I'd keep them. A couple of hours on each of those made the decision for me. Great Fenders I got there, and so much pleasure playing on 4ers again.