Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A string buzz from fret 4 onwards

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 555, Jun 10, 2004.

1. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    I received my SX 4-string Jazz bass today and i've done a set up on it via string height and truss rod adjustment but the A string from fret 4 onwards about to fret 19 still buzzes :meh: The other strings are fine with no buzz. I don't think raising the saddle for the A string will help because my action is as high as i like it to be, anymore higher, it'll be hard to play. So any help experts? :crying:

2. There are three things that you might memorize for reference in the future.

1- If the string(s) buzz on the first 4 or 5 frets, a relief problem is indicated and a truss rod adjustment is in order.

2- If the strings buzz on the last few frets a bridge height adjustment is in order.

3- An open string buzz usually indicates a bad nut if the buzz clears up when you note the first fret.

(Thanks, Harrell S)

I suggest raising the A string saddle just enough to stop the buzz, if it's too high, relief is your next step.

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    I've adjusted the truss rod and gave it a relief today when i was setting up the bass, i guess i will need to let it set before adjusting it again. Thanks!

4. 555, I would advise letting the bass set, wood constricts and contracts so you need to give it time to settle with the adjustments you've made.

It sounds like you know what you are doing, be patient, you have a new bass and you want to play it but, give it time, as you suggested and I think you'll be happy with the outcome!

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Thanks for the replies Treena, i will post here again when there are results:D

6. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Ok the A string still buzzes on the same frets.... i think i might be paranoid but the neck looks like its bowed forward :meh: could be my eyes deceiving me but when i look at my Ibanez 5 string, it's fine. I've already adjusted the truss rod (turned it to the left to loosen it) but from my knowledge if the neck is Concave aka bowing forward, you must turn the truss rod to the right ie: tightening it. So now im stuck :( my A string buzzes and now the neck looks like it's bowing forward grrrr!!!!

Btw when turning the truss rod in any direction, is it recommended to loosen the strings to let the truss rod do it's job?

Thanks!

7. Check here, 555, I think you are in over your head on this setup, you have to deal with the bass as it's made and some basses just do not cooperate to fit our exact desires.........do you have a tech that can take a look at the neck for you? The Essex will not be exactly like your Ibanez, even if you do the identical things to it............you know what I mean?

Raise the saddle just enough to stop the buzz on the A string.....see if that works before you do anything else to the neck. You may have over compensated the relif, but you can always back it off some. I suggest getting a pro tech to look at your bass...........:meh:

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. I have an essex and I must say that those are are great basses but you need to be a real setup freak (I am) to get it to your liking.

In your case you should put more relief in the neck it should bow a litlle like that.

.I
    I
    I strings being on that side.
    I
    .I

Your problem really sounds like your neck is bowing on the wrong side.

An easy way of checking your relief is to push your E string down at the last fret with your right hand and at the same time push it down on the first fret with your left hand. you should be able to see that there's a little space between the frets and the strings. It hard to explain it if only I could show you...

9. That's why I suggested the Gary Willis setup manual it shows the curvature...........see.......pictures speak a thousand words....

[​IMG]

:) Treena

10. Ohhhh! The curvature

;) :D

11. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    hmmmmm well it's a miracle but the bass plays like a charm now, i followed the Gary Willis set up guide.

Thanks all!:D