1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"A" string buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mr BattleArmor, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Mr BattleArmor

Mr BattleArmor

Aug 3, 2009
    If this is in the wrong place then feel free to move it...

When I hit the open A string, it buzzes. But if I put my finger on the first fret, or whatever fret, it stops buzzing. It onmly buzzes when its open. Its ok if I barely pluck it, but when there is some force applied, it buzzes...what could be the cause of that?

Thanks!

2. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    I might be wrong, but AFAIK when you have buzz at open notes usually the string is too low and it's a nut height problem.

3. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Remove the A string from the tuner and then restring it making sure that the string is as close to the base of the tuner as possible, the extra angle on the string will eliminate the buzz. If that does not work add a string tree which will provide an even more acute angle eliminating string buzz.

4. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Like Aspidites says, I string my A from top to bottom on the machine head so that when it's tuned up, the string is as close to the headstock as I can.

5. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Yes, make sure that A string goes over the nut at as sharp an angle as possible. Wind it wayyy down on the post.

6. Mr BattleArmor

Mr BattleArmor

Aug 3, 2009
    I'm thinking, at that point maybe I should just get new strings, and pay extra detail to the A string.

"the string is as close to the base of the tuner as possible, the extra angle on the string will eliminate the buzz"

Could I get some more detail on that?

Thanks

7. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    It is pretty self explanatory so I am not sure what info you need but I will give it a shot. The higher the string is on the tuner the more the string is able to move in the nut. The extra downward angle past the nut seats the string more firmly in the nut eliminating the buzz.

8. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    yes, make sure that you wind the string down as close to the base of the tuner as possible. if it still buzzes it's probably a nut problem.

to test this fold a thin piece of paper so that you're at about 1/8 inch thickness and put it in the groove for the A string then put the A string in the groove on top of the paper. Does it still buzz now? If not then you'll want a more permanent solution like a shim beneath the nut or even a new nut with a properly slots heights.

9. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    This may help.

P1000865.jpg

10. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    What Aspidites is saying, is the string's break angle over the nut isn't steep enough. This is a common issue on Fender-type basses.

Winding the string as low as possible on the tuner will increase the break angle, nopefully adding enough extra pressure to stop the buzzing.

Old (good) solution to an old problem.

Bob

11. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Thanks for doing a much better job than I did explaining it.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021