Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A string comes off nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rumzini, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I got a Mexican made Feder Jazz...has DR High Beams...the A string comes off the nut when bent towards the E...any tips on how to stop such nonsense???

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    How many times does the string wrap around the tuning post? Since the A and the E string don't have a string retainer like the D and G strings, it really helps to get your downward force on the string from getting several wraps on the tuning post, with the string coming up from the bottom.

3. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Hey thanks Super for the reply...however after further search of the forum I found that exact info...sure enough...I'm not even a year old in this thing so of course the string isn't even wrapped around once!!! So...gotta get new strings. It's actually a bass that I sold to a buddy and I feel bad about it. I just got a new Ibanez BTB and I didn't like the strings on it so I'll just use those.

4. Another tip that I've read about wrapping strings around the heads is to start from the TOP and wind DOWN. This keeps the string lower, and helps keep good tension across the nut.

I don't know if this is needed for basses that have an angled-back headstock, as that angle would keep the string sitting snugly in the nut. But for basses without the angled headstock (I think your Fender is one of these?) it might be a good idea.
    This technique has always worked well for me, but opinions do vary..

Mag...

5. Absolutely good advice...

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Did I say up from the bottom in my post? Bah. I get confused. The other guys are absolutely right- the string should wind from the top down. My mind must have been frazzled that night.

7. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    On my MIM fender Jazz I usaully wrap the E & A from top down and D & G bottom up. I had troubles with D string jumping from under the retainer until I wound it the other way and a dead spot on the G at the fith fret until I likewise wrapped it the other way.

tk