1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A string concern...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Irie01, May 7, 2002.

1. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    Alright, I just got my new Musicman Sterling. I had a rosewood Stingray for the months that i waited for the custom to come. I play mainly reggae and Sublime style stuff. I notice a difference in the tone amoung the Sterling.I expected it though.I just like the neck of the Sterling better.It is more comfortable to me.The Stingray was definetly a fatter, deeper, warmer tone. My Sterling is a maple neck and right now I just have the strings that came with it on.(I am curious what kind they are if anyone can help). I am now seeing on this forum and realizing that the kind of strings can make a difference. I play the Sterling in parallel mostly and always cut the treble a good bit. I would like to get a little warmer sound out of it and I was wondering what someone would suggest as far as a brand, gauge, flat or round, nickel or steel. I think that everything that I have played have been steel and roundwound. An explanation on the different types would be very helpful also.

2. Angelo

Angelo

Jan 12, 2002
    Theres your problem.
    Lose the steels.
    I find that i get a nice warm round tone with 40-95 XLs.
    But if you want a bigger sound you might try 45-100 or 45-105.