Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A string experiment

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Anti_Social, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Anti_Social

Anti_Social Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    First of all, hi everyone, I'm new here. I've been playing for about 3 1/2 years now, and I have a Ibanez Btb405 (5-String) bass. Now, I wanted to do a little bit of an experiment with my guitar, but I thought I'd check on here before attempting anything.

Now, I play in a band, and we're hard rock. So, I want a deep sound. Now, what I was thinking is a little hard to explain, but bear with me. I want to stick a heavy-gauge B string where my B usually goes (if I can find one, anyways.) Then, I want to stick a NORMAL B where my E string usually is. Then, a heavy guage E string where my A usually goes, and et cetera. Now, I have a truss rod in my guitar, and I was wondering: A.) Will this sound half-decent? B.) Is it safe for my bass?

Any information and/or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. it really depends on how you're going to tune it. if you're going to use standard tuning, i doubt the strings will tolerate that much tension before they snap, and if they survive, you'll have to tweak the hell out of your truss rod to compensate.

3. and welcome to talkbass :D

4. Anti_Social

Anti_Social Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    I play in BDADG tuning. It's easier for my playing style.

5. Anti_Social

Anti_Social Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Thanks Hategear. After reading that post, I think I'll just stick with normal. I do know of a bassist in a band called East West however, that did the same thing I wanted to, except with a 4-string in drop C. It sounded cool, so I thought I'd try to mimick it. Anyways, muchos gracias.