Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A string for life...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by carl-anton, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Ok, I've tried not to make this thread a "which brand is better"-thread, but it turned out that way anyhow! :rolleyes:

I've tried alot of strings lately, and it's getting VERY expensive! (a set of DR's can easily cost you $50,- where I live). I really like the Slowounds, they almost give me the full fat sound of Blood Sugar Sex Magik by youknowwho, but I would like them to have just a little more BITE and that funky bottom of the Lo-riders, which in turn misses out on the mids. I'm wondering how the does the Hi-beams fit in here? I know about the highs, but how about the mids? Is it easier to make it growl due to the lower tension compared to the lo-riders? Is there a string out there which will give me the full body of the Slowounds AND the bite of DR strings?

I play mostly fingerstyle (nobody wants to hear slap these days! ...and the lo-riders allready won that category!). Soundwise I think the top is BSSM and the Marcus Miller sound... - is that too much to ask of a string?
    My gear is a StingRay5 and SWR bass750 + 2xGoliathIII

Any input would be much apreciated - thank you sir! :cool:

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I wont answer your specific question but you do get a bump.

Ive used Elites on my SR5 for 4 years now. When the shop stopped stocking them I went to Rotosounds (BIG mistake). I recently fitted some Ernie Balls and they are excellent. THey really suit the Stingray. BTW I fitted some to my Warwick fretless and I don't like them as much, too bright. I'll just have to wait a bit.

Hope this helps, anyway you got a bump and something to read until someone else comes along.

3. Thanks for the bump! and please tell me about the Elites. They've been an outsider for a long time, but I've never tried them.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    They are very bright and retain the zingyness for some time. They are more consistant than Rotosound I once had a whole set of dead strings. I think bass central stock Elites (as they gave me a free set) if you do US mail order. Although I think the Basscentre in London may be an option.

5. Hey Chris, CS whatever you liked to be called, the elites you mentioned do they come in a blue and yellow pack

6. Thanx a lot, there the ones i get i didnt realise they were that highly acclaimed