1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A string nut buzz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mechanical Mind, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Mechanical Mind

Mechanical Mind

Mar 30, 2007
    MN
    I have a fretless fender jazz, and it buzzes at the nut when the A string is played open. I know this is because it goes straight from the bridge to the tuner, and does not apply any pressure to the nut. It just kind of floats there. What would you suggest I do? New nut, 3 string tree, or something else? It really bugs me.:mad:

2. I say new nut, I imagine that a string tree wouldn't address the problem entirely.

time to go graphite :D ?

3. You could try rewinding your A string with more wraps. Hold the string against the headstock while you're winding it to ensure your gettingyou last fw wraps as low on the post as you can.

If that doesn't work. Your A string slot on your nut may be deeper than the rest for some reason.

4. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    +1

sounds like you don't have enough break angle over the nut.

5. Mechanical Mind

Mechanical Mind

Mar 30, 2007
    MN
    I'll go try rewinding it.

No success. But, I found if I pull lightly back on the head stock it seems to stop.

6. That happened to me once on my fretless. It was because the string had already damaged the nut, carved a bigger space than what you actually need, you need a new one, with a better height, maybe brass or graphite would work much better.

7. That tells me a truss rod adjustment might be needed.

Double check to make sure the string is sitting properly in it's bridge saddle as well.

If everything is fine and a quarter turn of the truss either way has no effect. Then i'd have an experienced tech take a look at it. Replacing the nut might be the answer.

8. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    how many windings do you have on the a string?

simply rewinding with the same set isn't going to get you any more break angle.

you need a solid 2-3 times around to get sufficient angle.

9. i have the same problem, apart from my string actually touches the bottom of the nut but still rattles, a string tree over the e and a or a 3-string tree over the G D and A would solve it fine.

10. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    Hey Bro, I've noticed the buzzing A string Fender issue is common - if you search on it here you may find a solution having to do with the string guide up on the headstock - ?