1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A string on 4 string bass sounds more quiet

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by magic8161, May 20, 2020.

1. magic8161

magic8161 Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    I got a new amp today and when playing the bass with the amp the A string seems weaker than the rest. I tried a new string that didn't help. I tried a different bass and that A string is fine. could it be a bad pickup?. I tap it with a screw driver and it has the same pull as the E string. the pickup height is higher then the E string side as well. puzzled.

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Is it on every note or just the open string? If every note, maybe lower the pickup. Counter intuitive but the magnet may be pulling on the string. If just the open, check your witness points or you may have what the upright bass world calls a sheep note (the opposite of a wolf note). The same kinds of solutions, adding or removing mass from the neck, can help.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020 at 8:31 AM
  3. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    Man I have no clue what your talking about...lol

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020 at 8:31 AM
  4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

He asked if it’s just the open string or all notes on the string. Legit.

Then he said the pickup may be too close. True story and a possibility.

Then he got into instrument physics. Lol.

So let’s hear your symptoms when you check the above.

RSBBass likes this.
  5. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    All the notes.Even open ones. I reset the amp, its better but not like the other strings. the way i can tell is if i play the open or closed E string it rattles the plates on the wall same with the D string but not the A string if that helps.

6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Twisted string? Loosen the string and run you finger/thumb from the nut to the bridge to remove any twists, retune. Unless you have it strung through the body. If you have it strung through the body, remove the string from the post and start over. DO NOT wrap the string around the post; use ONLY the key to tighten the string. Wrapping the string around the post is the primary cause of twisted strings. Stringing through the body prevents twists from untwisting (the best argument for not stringing through the body.)

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 6:35 AM
    magic8161 likes this.
  7. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    I tried a different string. Thanks

8. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    Unless the pickups have adjustable pole pieces, there's probably nothing you can do about it. Sometimes the dead string is an actual acoustic effect of the bass; my 70's jazz bass had a quiet D string like that. I tried replacing the pickups with a good set of Seymour Duncans but it didn't help. I also tried different strings, redoing the setup over and over and nothing helped.

if that's the case, you might just have to run a limiter/compressor to even out the volume and leave it at that...

L

magic8161 likes this.
  9. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Judging by your responses, I'd give it (the bass with the A string issue, not the amp) to a tech if currently possible.

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 3:34 PM
  10. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    If your pickups has flush magnet pole peices VS 7.5/9.5 fretboard radius , you need raise both A and D magnet rod 1mm o 1.5mm .

11. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    How do you do this?

12. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Is it jazz bass ?

13. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    P bass

14. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    How your pickups height and action on A string ?

Try lower the E side and raise more on A side until you hear both output equal by your ears. Samething on D and G side.

Screenshot_2020-05-23-08-12-33-914_com.android.chrome.png

magic8161 likes this.