1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A String on Fender P Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sfisher, Apr 7, 2006.

1. sfisher

sfisher

Jan 12, 2005
    Portsmouth, UK
    HI,

been playing a Fender P for a bit and just changed strings for the first time and now the A string keeps jumping out of the nut whenever I strike it. I put it back, play and it pops out. The string is wound on the correct side and it's the same gauge. Please help as I have no idea what is going on!

:crying:

Sean

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    How many times is your string wrapped around the post? If you don't have enough wraps around the tuning key, the string will essentially be flat from the tuning peg down to the nut, and will pop out easily.

Ideally, you'll have a couple of wraps around the tuning peg, which will give you some downward force as the string is coming up from the bottom of the peg.

You're basically attempting to achieve the same effect as the small, circular string guide that is holding down your D and G strings.

3. sfisher

sfisher

Jan 12, 2005
    Portsmouth, UK
    Cheers for the quick response SuperDuck. I have about two and a half wraps on the post, but erm, the string is coming out from the top of the post to the nut, so each wind is going above the one below as it is wound. Should each wind be going below with the string coming out at the bottom? Darn, sounds like a really stupid mistake I've made...

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yup, each wind should be going down, as you said. The strings should come up from the bottom.

No worries! I've made plenty of blunders that were dumber than that one. :bag:

5. sfisher

sfisher

Jan 12, 2005
    Portsmouth, UK
    Thanks for that, bass is much better now.