A string overvibrating?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mindflow, Oct 11, 2005.

1. mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    my A string is making the worst buzzing noise when i pluck it hard. it will play normal for one second of vibration and then it is hitting a fret im assuming and buzzes out. the other strings are fine. i tried adjusting the string height to see if i could get rid of it and that didnt work. any ideas?
  2. mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    its a smith era p bass. i just bought it off of ebay. the bass is pretty much in mint condition. it definitely hasnt been played much. the frets are flawless. so no, i havent set it up but the bass seemed to be set up perfectly (seemed professional) wheni got it. i have only noticed the prolbem in the last few days. the strings seem to be fairly old.i was thinking that maybe changing them would help, but I should'nt be having problems like that either way I would think. thanks for helping
  3. jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    If it is only the A string open which is giving the problem then the nut slot may be cut too low. if it does it when fretted the problem lies elsewhere
  4. horrible

Jul 20, 2005
    check the angle of the A string from the nut to the tuner, if it's not sufficient the string will buzz. The E string i close enough to the nut and D & G probably have a string guide, but A could be a problem..
  5. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Seeing that you got it on Ebay, the change in heat and humidity could be very different from your

I think that there is a real good chance that a general check and tweak up setup may be all that you need.

I would make every effort to know what is causing the prob before I adjusted anything. Careful and deliberate diagnotics will pinpoint the cause 99% of the time (I just invented that statistic :) ).

It's easy to make a slight relief problem go away by adjusting the bridge heigth and vice versa. Those poor compromises are the dif between a good playing bass or one that isn't much fun to play.
  6. horrible

Jul 20, 2005
    *edit: The E string tuner is close enough, not the string itself. :smug:
  7. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    +1 that's a very common problem

8. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    We never made a P Bass!

Read this from our news archives;

Cash America Pawn Shop in Tyler, Texas has aquired a counterfeit Ken Smith Bass . The bass looks like a Fender Jazz or P Bass, painted red. The Smith logo appeared to be a decal, and CR4G is engraved in white on the truss rod cover. We thank all of you who keep us informed of situations such as these. If you are thinking about purchasing a used Smith, feel free to contact us with the Serial #. We will be glad to verify its authenticity.

This fake Smith bass was found at:
    Cash America Pawn Shop
    2013 W. Southwest Loop 323
    Tyler, Texas 75701

If you have any questions please feel free to call us at: (215) 453-8887

I have seen a Bass or two on Ebay with our name on it. It is not our Bass. Not even close. Put a Rolls Royce logo on a Chevy and try selling it.. Have fun..