1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A String Pitch Correction

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PBassOnlyBass, Oct 7, 2013.

1. PBassOnlyBass

PBassOnlyBass

Jun 14, 2013
    This may have been asked before but I noticed on my Precision Bass and many others that by the tuning pegs the E, D, and G string are are leaning downward at the same angle but since the A String isn't underneath a pitch coin/corrector also it gets more fret buzz. Is there a way to fix this? Do they make a smaller pitch coin or corrector for the A String?

2. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    Mine are like that. No problem with any buzz, though. The A might be actually buzzing
    on a fret for some other reason.

Is the buzzing occurring on the open string? If so, does it stop if you press down on the string
    behind the nut? It's normally not a problem if the string is wound down far enough on the tuning post.
    The string should wrap downward on the post, with 2 or 3 wraps, and come off of the post near the
    bottom rather than the top.

If the buzzing is on fretted notes, the string angle behind the nut has nothing to do with the buzzing.
    The nut and tuner would be out of the picture in that case.

3. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    The traditional cure is to wrap enough of the string leader around the tuner post so that it comes down to almost touching the bushing, in an even layer, without binding or overlapping.

4. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    +1 Absolutely worthwhile trying. It'll almost certainly cure the problem.
    I once tried a Precision at a store with the same kind of problem. The A string was noisy at the nut. Sandberg cures the problem with a string tree over A, D and G. If I had this problem I'd consider the Sandberg solution.

5. Yep. That's how you do it! :thumbup:

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

I don't trim my A strings and wrap the entire thing on there; Must be 8 wraps. The string is on the deck and never rattles in the nut. Just keep good tension on the string to avoid slack in the wraps and the tuning will be stable and not slip down. If it does just Tug up on the string and retune until it stabilizes.

This method accomplishes the same thing as a string tree without drilling holes in the bass.