A string question for Steve and Michael.

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by sloppysubs, Oct 23, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Seeing as that you both expirement with and tend to do a lot of slap, modified slap and tapping, have you ever expiremented with flatwounds for such puposes?

Knowing that flats aren't nearly as bright (well most anyway) as rounds I was just curious. There seems to be a big 'renisance' as it were for flatwounds. I myself have switched and started using them with my Zon bass. To my knowledge using an upper line active bass and flatwounds isn't really heard of, although I am sure someone else is doing it too. I just love the sounds.

I use the D'addario Chromes (and when I play rounds I only use D'addario too) and I have tapped and slapped with them and very much like it. I was really suprised at how un-muddy they were when I was doing all of this.

Anyway, have you guys expiremented with flats? What did you like or dislike about them and why? What brands?
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I've been using flats on both my 6s since I got them - I'm a big fan of flats for every technique. I slap/tap/strum/etc. on both basses, and it sounds great!

I use Bass Centre Elites, who at my request just started doing a light gauge flatwound set, and are soon going to release a me signature flatwound set, which will be a hybrid of the lights and the heavies - lighter on the bottom and heavier on the top...

3. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    That's awsome Steve. I will have to check those stings out. I also think it's cool there is another person using the flats with something other than P-basses or retro basses etc.
  4. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    I love the sound Steve gets with flatwounds! It's so cool when someone challenges preconceptions and makes it work.