1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A string rattle.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by xxfaux_punkxx, Apr 20, 2010.

1. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    So my A string rattles like hell when I play. I have it raised at the bridge as high as i can go as well as strung through the body but it still rattles on the first fret (A# i think).

I'm thinking it's because my strings are too light, but I can't afford to replace them right now. Anyway I can do a quick fix that will allow me to lower my action?

edit.... my strings are Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies btw.

2. Open string only, or when you fret notes on it? If open only, it's probably because you don't have the string wrapped on the tuner post correctly, in order to provide enough downward pressure on the slot. If it's a Fender type headstock I'd bet money on it. Common issue with that style headstock.

3. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Endorsing Artist:
    check your tuning pegs... string tree(s) bridge saddle hardware...

4. cap'n crunk

cap'n crunk

Apr 6, 2010
    California
    If it's rattling at the first fret when you play the open A, your A-string nut slot may have worn down (or been cut, if it's a new bass/nut) too low for it to clear the fret when resonating. Try folding a small piece of paper and placing it between the string and the slot; if the buzz stops, you may need to visit a luthier and have the nut replaced.

5. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    it's when I hold down on the first fret when it rattles.

I also play pretty heavy and I know that has something to do with it.

6. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    blah i feel like an idiot... I got my A and D string tuned wrong.... damn dislexia.... i need to quit using a tuner and go back to tuning by ear.