Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A String Revelation

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stu L., Sep 25, 2004.

1. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    First, a little background. I own a music store. I have changed more sets of strings than I care to think about (both guitar and bass). When asked what strings I reccomend, I ususlly just spout something off, like "DR's or Boomers", etc.

I strung a new acoustic this morning. Instead of the usual GHS Infinity Bronze I like, I grabbed a set of Martin SP's.

That's when it hit me that different guitars just need different strings. Simple, I know. Now I've never been a "the tone is in the wood" kinda guy. I feel the strings, and electronics, are the determining factors in a guitars sound. But I now beleive that different strings can make one guitar sound good, while on another they sound bad. I now have nothing to say when asked what I reccomend.

Except for basses, there's still no other choice but Boomers ;)

2. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    I suppose that makes sense, certain strings bringing out certain qualities in a bass, I can see it.

3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I assume from your post that you, like myself, had not given much thought to it? Wierd, huh?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    This has definitely been the case for me. I reccomended a lot of MArtin SP's, because they are just good strings. D'Adario EXP's got some good rotation, too.

5. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    I have been a firm believer in this for awhile now, and it just makes sense. Every bass is a little different. and while you may even use the same kind of string you may need to switch gauges between two different basses. I have found that there are three different types of strings that will sound good on my standard jazz, depending on what type of sound I'am looking for. On my precision roto flats were the stuff, but on my jazz it gotta be the Fenders. Boomers were ok on my precision, but are way lacking in bottom on my jazz. Having said that, Roto swingbass sounded great on both of them! I just hate the fret wear from the stainless. In the end it was the Fender superbass rounds on my precision that were my choice for rounds and roto's for flats. So far on my jazz Fenders for flats and Roto's for rounds. Superbass are ok on the jazz but not my first pick.

6. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Exact same thing here. My 'vette always has new strings on it atleast 2-3months. Normally Labella's or DR. But i like to put the old (dead) strings on my '83 ibanez. Old strings for an old guitar!