1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"A" String Sounds Better?!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bassmasta94, May 13, 2010.

1. bassmasta94

bassmasta94

Jul 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Hey guys, ive had my bass for about 5 months, its brand new, and i love it. But, recently ive been noticing that the "A" string is getting a much more fuller, and "bassier" tone than the rest of the strings. Im not sure why. I didnt notice it in the beginning. Is this common? I was just looking for an opinion from someone whos had the same thing happen. Its not necessarily a bad thing, but i would love if all the string had as much of a good tone as that A string. If you guys no anyways to fix this, or make them all sound more "bassy" that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    So, did you replace the rental Strobel? If so, then with what? It's not common for the tone of one string to change substantially. If the bass now sounds uneven across the strings, it would be best to take it to a good luthier and have the setup checked. Where did you get the bass?

3. well the weather here in CT is changing pretty rapidly, which means that the wood in your bass may be expanding with the increased humidity. this can have a big impact on your sound post, and may account for the change. generally around here your instrument will contract in the winter, making the sound post tighter, and some players i know have a winter and summer post. another option is to have slight seasonal adjustments made. it's a good thing to be aware of anyhow because a tight post in the winter could potentially damage the bass. what kind of bass do you have? a carved bass will change more with the seasons/weather than a ply or hybrid, and be more susceptible to weather related damage.

4. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    ...and especially if it's a carved bass, it's essential to control humidity via the use of a humidifier and hygrometer. The danger here in Connecticut is low humidity in the winter but even more so in the spring. During April and May we can get crisp sunny days where, if not controlled, the humidity in your home can plummet from the mid-40s to the mid-30s in just a few hours.

5. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    On my bass the A string also has more 'thonk' and bass than the other strings. It is annoying me sometimes.
    I think you can adjust it somewhat by moving your soundpost a little. But I don't want to it myself.

6. bassmasta94

bassmasta94

Jul 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the help guys. Do you know any good luthiers in the area of central connecticut. Or should i just take it to Upton bass, and explain whats going on? They will most likely know what to do.

7. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    So true. I put some wood outside the other day and stuck my digital hygrometer next to it. The RH outside was 19%! That's desert air.

8. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Spring can really hang you up the most. :)