1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A-String too small?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by IronSaint, Jan 9, 2017.

1. IronSaint

IronSaint

Jan 9, 2017
    Hello Folks...
    I have just ordered a new Fender Precision Pro at Thom... and asked them to adjust/fine-tune
    the bass for immediate studio work, as well as to change strings from
    Fender 7250M ( 045-065-085-105) to
    Daddario EFX170 Flex Steels (045-065-080-100)

Now, I get the message that the Daddario A-String would be too small for the nut
    and therefore the bass would not stay in tune properly. Their workshop would not
    perform such work, unless I bought a new nut and have it plekked for 60$.

Has anybody come across that problem? Is there a problem, at all?
    Well, after 40 years on da Bass I have not had that.
    I’d be greatfull for any input on this...

Cheers, Iron

2. Something smells very fishy to me...

My Am Std P came with the 7250M. I haven't had any issues using smaller D (.058) and A (.080).

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've heard of people only using what gauges come on a bass and modding a nut before using lighter gauge strings. I could see how this isn't a bad thing to do, but not at all necessary. I've successfully used ludicrously light gauge strings on nuts cut for standard gauges for years without issue. Whoever they have doing their set up work is either being a stickler because that's how he is or he's being told to insist on this so they can charge you for a new nut. I don't know why the bass would need to be plekked either. Another thing that's nice to have but not necessary.

If it's a new bass and you have any mechanical ability at all, you can quickly and easily set it up yourself without their nonsense.

Jon Moody and Jeff Scott like this.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Come on man, if you've been playing 40 years you should be able to change your own strings.

Observation #2.....$60 to install a new nut and Plek the neck is an absolute steal and you should not hesitate to have them do it.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yeah....one wonders exactly what they mean by plek. Isn't that an involved process with a special machine that generally costs much more money?

Jeff Scott likes this.
  6. IronSaint

IronSaint

Jan 9, 2017
    ----------------------------------
    Hi, ...
    I surely can change strings myself ;-). I can carve me a whole bass and the electronics, if I wanted ;-).
    (-Electronics engineer & studio owner, grown up in a center of Violin making-).
    I just don't see myself screwing on a new bass when I can have that as a service for free (well, usually).
    The Plekking would be a steal, but this refers only to the work on the new nut, not the frets, as well.
    Iron

7. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Makes no sense, it's perfectly normal to string up a bass with strings up to .020 thinner than the nut slot (a light set .070 in a common .090 slot). I've used .045 in a .165 slot and .007 in a .032 slot, no problems.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I have flown as a passenger in airliners, and live in a town with a few airports, so I guess I can pilot an airplane, too. ;)

As to the string issue, they are feeding total BS. Just put the lighters strings on and play the thing like you are an EE.

9. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I've gone from standard to BEAD and back to standard and didn't have to modify anything on the way back. No problems with tuning, strings sliding around, or strings popping out of their slots or anything. 99% of the time, strings are round. The grooves in the nut are round. The round string will be pulled to the lowest point of the rounded notch (science), provided you wind your tuners from top to bottom/ use a string tree.

10. IronSaint

IronSaint

Jan 9, 2017
    ----------------------------------------
    LOL... I'm no Pilot, but I've learned some luthier stuff hands-on, sometimes in the '70s.
    ----
    Thanks you all for your input.
    I could not agree more.
    I will disregard the drivel about a new nut and tell the guy at the
    shop to get the thing ready as is. If any issues should occur I deal with it myself.
    What a great forum this is!
    Thanks again.
    Iron

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  11. IronSaint

IronSaint

Jan 9, 2017
    Just a late follow up: The strings are just fine! Not a trace of buzzing. Whatever made this otherwise good shop render such a nonsense is inexplicable to me. The bass is doing great and a real player's instrument. Meanwhile I have changed the pickups and installed a set of Haeussel PUs. Even though the original new Fenders are quite ok, the Haeussel's beat them in any aspect. Harry Haeussel is a wizzard in his trade, also for guitars... Got a few excellent sets on LPs and Strats.
    Thanks again for you input.
    Cya, IronSaint