Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A stunt I want to pull at my schools last assembly

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Sep 8, 2003.

1. I'm thinking, maybe I could get the school to let my band play at the last assembly of this school year (they hire local bands now and then). This is Hawaii, so they prefer oldies rock/hawaiian music though.

So we'll get together and learn some oldies, and we'll play Metallica's rendition of "So What" (not exactly the jazz song you all are familiar with).

The song has so many profane references, etc. Plus, hell, I'm a senior. What are they gonna do? Suspend me? Expell me? hah.

And I doubt they would have us arrested, that would be a bit extreme. They'll probably just cut off the sound system 10 seconds into the song :D

What do you guys think? I know it's not exactly a smart thing to do but this is my last year of (possibly) school, I want to make it memorable. :D

2. DaveyMangles

DaveyMangles

Jun 12, 2003
    Man, i wouldn't suggest it. some friends of mine my senior year got busted for pulling a prank...no one got hurt and no property was damaged, but they weren't allowed to walk at graduation. That's pretty heavy when you think about it ya know...like family all bummed out and stuff...anyways just my take on it.good luck.

3. Infested_Leming

Infested_Leming

Jun 29, 2003
    Canada
    Nothing like acting like total idiots to make something memorable........

4. That's the whole point :D

Holy crap you're right, I forgot about graduation. Lol thanks for reminding me :D

Oh well I'm graduating iwth 26 credits anyway...of course..relatives will be there..dammit all!

5. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    My friend decided to pull a prank his senior year right before the school year ended. He road his motocross bike through school during lunch break. People were diving out of the way, then it ended by him being tackled off his bike by a cop that teaches a class at the school. It was one of those cool scenes right out of a movie.
    I'll never forget it. But he did get ARRESTED.

But your prank seems pretty harmless, but you could be denied to walk during your graduation as stated by DaveyMangles, still a hefty penalty.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    HOW about playing jazzed up metallica songs? sing enter sandman in a frank sinatra voice or like the mack the knife delivery?? keep the profanity to a minimum probably. I think jazzy metallica is funnier than metalicized jazz.

frank sings: "gimme fuuueeeel, gimme fiiirreee, gimme that which I desiiiirrrrreeeee" (horns blast!)

7. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Why would you not go for it? :confused: You only have one chance to do that. you only live once... give it h*ll.:D :D :D

8. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    As i see it Mcrelly has a good idea, if your gonna pull a prank that just shows your guilty in the act of it, pull one that gives everyone a chuckle and does no harm. First off, you cant get in any trouble for it, secondly, it would show alot more creativity on your part, any idiot can offend, it takes some skill to entertain. Last of all, if you go with the Metallica thing, very few people will see it as a joke, most people, including your classmates, will see just some more dumb metalheads trying to make a statement.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    WOW! That's exactly how one of my bands intros "Fuel". Weird. That's especially strange since I was just on the phone with the manager of the place we played this weekend, and he was telling me how he thought that was a really good idea.

11. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    what do you mean? your singer sings Fuel intro like frank sinatra? cool:cool: or big band metallica?

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    There is a big band version of "Enter Sandman". The album "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Pat Boone features big band versions of some great heavy metal classics (like Holy Diver, etc) played by a band of LA heavies and arranged by some of the best big band arrangers in the business (Nestico, Nehaus, etc). It's a great album, and a laugh a minute!

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You want something memorable? Ever heard of takin' a friggin' picture?

:spit:

brad cook

14. Don't do it!

What used to be looked upon as the high spiritedness of youth is now frowned upon.

What can they do to you?

Well, you're in Hawaii, so they could just throw you into a volcano. :p

Worse yet, they could tie you to a chair and make you sit through not one, but two Don Ho shows! :eek: www.donho.com

Mike :D

15. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Off topic but have you seen/heard of a hawaiian cover band called 'Slug' www.slugrocks.com . I found these guys sometime last year or the year before byaccident and they seemed pretty good (going by downloads, pics and general site content)!

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If high school isn't memorable enough already, then a dumb stunt really won't help.

17. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You´ll only live once........

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    back in 87 (year after I graduated) my band was hired by the Guitarists High School (next town over) to Play the HomeComing Dance...

We opened the show with a cover of 'In The Flesh' from Floyd's 'The Wall'.

Picture the scene. House lights fade to black, dramatic pause... Spot lights burst to life as my singer screams.... "Yooouuuuu Faaaaggg*****ts"

They actually made us stop playing 'Cocaine' from Clapton.

We got paid, but were told rudely that was the last School event we would be hired for :cool:

19. Morkolo

Morkolo

Aug 11, 2003
    Newfoundland
    I'd rather do what I did, go up onstage with no one knowing you play bass and pull off a bunch of crazy bass stuff. Me all dressed up in a pinstripe shirt with huge curly hair playing all the Awakening by Les Claypool, and a whole bunch of Stu tunes... country music obviously. People loved it, it's better than going up and play metal or something along that line.. I find metal, as much as I love it, is only meant for a certain audience. But with your idea you'll just end up making people mad, which could be what you want, I mean you might be remembered as "the idiots who went up onstage and insulted the whole school and staff", or you could go up and do something that really appeals to everyone. Or at least try, but I wouldn't risk ruining my graduation for a stupid prank.

20. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    For some reason, the Southwest Airlines commercial pops into my head.

I suggest if you are gonna do this stunt, videotape it for posterity. Watch it when you are older and see how funny it is. Play it for your kids, play it for your future in-laws, play it for you future boss, whoever. See if you would be proud of this. A great show that the crowd enjoys is usually a hit. A joke is hit or miss, and if it's an inside joke then it's usually a miss. I'm sure the metalheads in the crowd might get off on it, but what about everyone else?
    Oahu is an island, and if you are planning on staying there, how do you want to be remembered? As a guy who put on a really kick-ass show for the assembly, or some goof off? Some of the teachers or staff may be in bands that play around town. Some of the students may be in bands in the future as well. Do want to be known as a serious musician, or a goof off poser? Beyond music, do you want to be taken seriously as a person or have people write you off as a guy who makes an a$$ of himself . Take it from me, a recovering class clown, there will be a day that you want to be taken seriously (jobs, dating, etc..).
    If there are gonna be parents at the assembly, then you might want to consider that too. A friend of mine pulled a stunt at his graduation, and he had a barage of calls from pissed off students, teachers and parents. He didn't expect that. In retrospect, it wasn't even that funny.

Wann do something memorable? How about raising funds for a charity? How about giving your time to a worthy cause? How about doing somehting that will actually improve your community or the world you live in? That's memorable.

But it's your life and your consequences to deal with.