Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Stupid Cable Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plain Old Me, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Okay, heres the deal. I have a Trace V4 which only runs in 4 or 8 Ohm, and I have a Henry 8x8 cab, which is 4 Ohm. I want to get an extention 115 or 118 (or 215 if I can afford it...). Any recommendations on the cab? It has to be 4 Ohms, which leads me to my next question. Who makes series 1/4 in speaker cables? I know that tubes can probabally take up to 100% difference in Ohms, but I'd rather put forth a little $ to avoid having to retube so soon.

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    If your Trace can only handle 8 or 4 ohms;
    And your running a Henry,
    And want to run another cab with it...

You can not power an extention cabinet with that amp.

3. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    Sure he can, he just needs another 4 ohm cab and to get wires made so he can run them in series instead of parallel. Instead of 2 ohms, that will give him 8 ohms.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

my tube head does 4 or 8 ohms and I run 2 4 ohm cabinets in series with a cable made for me by http://www.procablesnsound.com/ It's the most substancial speaker cable I've ever owned / used.... BEEFIE!

Send them an email... they are pretty quick on the return.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    read up on Ohms law and how it works... you are WRONG!

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Right.

Momentary lapse.

Hadn't had my Coffee yet.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I got a second pot brewing as I type... swing on by :cool:

8. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    but if you add another cab on the same output, won't the watts going to each cab half? (thereby reducing volume)?

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    yes (but no), when running multi cabinets or multi drivers (series or parallel) the total watts is shared. BUT the increased surface area will move far more air then the reduction of watts to the single cabinet.

someone correct me if I'm wrong (I have been before), but I remember being taught that doubling the watts only increases the volume by 2dB.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Theoretically, assuming identical impedence and efficiency for each cab, the total volume should be about the same at the same volume/gain setting.

Approximately, 3db.

Halving the wattage, would cut the volume by 3db for each cab (by itself), but the same (half wattage) going through another identical cab (running both cabs) (net 2 x cone surface area) would give back a 3db increase.

No significant change in overall volume, but if the cabs were close enough together to couple for bass frequency reinforcement, you would probably get some extension to the low end performance which would be a definite plus.

11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Thats good and all if I had a SOLID STATE head. The V4 is all tube. Tube watts are the same at any impedance. You just change the setting and its the same watts.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I love tubes :bassist:

but then my pre/power rig does 450 watts per side @ 4 ohms each or 8ohms bridged for 900 watts... so I'm golden :smug:

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    That's what we were talking about -- not changing the watts output into some specific load the amp is seeing -- just changing the number of cabs that result in that load.

14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Oh, I thought you meant it would cut down on the output. As it is, I'm probabally running the Henry almost past its limits. I'd actually rather cut down the watts to that cab.