A stupid newbie theory question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jetmech727, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jetmech727

Jan 29, 2005
    I have not been playing for long at all and Im trying to self teach myself. I figured out on my own that the strings are supposed to face away from the body....so I'm off to a good start. Sorry for my ignorance but.....I'm not 100%....well...probably not even 2% sure on what exactly the number beside a not stand for. For example D7. I know what a D note is. But the number throws me. And for more than just the bloody D note. Can someone explain it...in laymens terms.
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    1. Find a teacher in your area and begin taking lessons..

2. Try using THIS before posting new threads..

3. Try looking in the appropriate forum such as the GENERAL INSTRUCTION forum...

4. Welcome to TalkBass

Actually the letter denotes a chord and not a single note. The number indicates the extension, or the addition of a fourth note to the chord played.

ex. 1-3-5-7
  3. jetmech727

Jan 29, 2005
    Wow! Thats tonnes of helpfull stuff on those pages. Thanks for the referal
  4. jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Why do musicians insist on being self taught?

Did your mom teach you how to wipe your ass?

Did your school teach you how to add?

Where do people get off "teaching" themsleves something they know nothing about, and how on earth could that be the fastest route to success?
  5. :rolleyes:

Have you ever heard of things such as monetary restrictions, time constraints, etc?
  6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Dude, give the guy a break. At least he is trying. My God!!!

LOL. Wow

7. What's wrong with asking a question on Talkbass? Troll.
  8. fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    TB is supposed to educate ,help and encourge .

jvbjr that was a little harsh
  9. jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    If time and money are a concern, there are MelBay books that can help you that are pretty cheap. I just don't understand the mentality of going it alone in musicianship. You never hear a person say they learned to spell on their own. No one ever brags, I skipped out of school in the third grade and taught myself algebra.

All the problems and issues you will face have been addressed by many before you, why not skip all of those roadblocks and get some help from a teacher, just like you did in school?
  10. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Maybe being self taught is more satisfying to some people. It really seems as though you're jealuos of the people who became successful on their own, without a seeing eye dog.
  11. jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    I find people want results, the faster the better. How many people take up an instrument and then drop in shortly afterwards? Usually they feel like they were not getting any better so they move on to something they can excel at, like watching TV where the learning curve is lower. :p

Learning an instrument is an involved process where you have to elarn what to do with both hands, how to do it in time, with the proper notes, and dare I say while reading music.

Yes you can do it on your own, at a much slower pace. You can live with out electricity, poop in an outhouse, live off the land, etc...but most of us choose an easier life style. So it goes counter to the entire theory of organized education to go it your own, but by all means do as you wish, I can just assure you a person that takes lessons for one year versus a person that refuses to do so will be at totally different playing levels, as well as musical comprehension levels. Going it alone is like swimming with a cinder block around your neck IMO, YMMV, good luck, yada yada yada.
  12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Cheer up, dude

13. jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    And a D7 means a D dominant chord, where the intervals are:

R 3 5 b7

The third is major and the fifth is perfect, the seventh is flatted which can only happen on the V chord if remaing diatonic in a major scale. Of course in melodic minor or harmonic minor there are other opportunities for dominant chords, or there is always tri-tone substitutions where you can play the b5 of any dominant chord as a dominant itself, or we could discuss secondary dominant substitution, but I am only telling you what my seeing eye dog taught me. :eyebrow:
  14. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Why do people insist on answering a question with another question? Or four? :rolleyes:

Here's another link for you, jetmech; it's no substitute for a good teacher, but if you really are starting at ground zero on your own, this may help you lift off...

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    since the original poster's question was answered, and this is in the wrong forum anyway...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.