1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

a stupid question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jucas, Apr 10, 2006.

1. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    So here is a really stupid question, and I didnt find anything in the few searches I tried...

Why is the low end of the frequency response of bass cabs so high? I understand that its different from a subwoofer in that its a full range speaker/different responses are expected, but why is it that so many people worry about a cabinet going low enough for a low B? I have an 8 inch sub woofer for my stereo that is about 1/3 the size of my ampeg B-100R, yet it hits about 10 Hz lower.

SO the question is, if you're making a 6-10 cab, why not make the bottom two cover the really low end of the spectrum? As in 20-30Hz, with the other 4 10's hitting the rest of the needed range...

I know that adding a crossover "pollutes" the sound, but I imagine that one could make a 2-3 way setup like this that would cover any frequency you throw at it could be possible and sound good.

And when looking at extention cabs (15's and 18's) they still seem to cover a fairly high frequency range... I dont think I've ever seen a bass cab that claims to hit 20 HZ (I know that numbers aren't everything, and that theres lots I havent seen) so do they exist and I just havent seen enough bass cabs?

2. wow youre right, that is a stupid question :bag:

3. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    yeah... we'd determined that, but can anyone tell me why its so stupid... Is it just lack of demand? too few people play basses strung low enough to hit those frequencies?

4. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i could have sworn that accugroove make cabinets with 2x12's, one acting as a full range driver and one acting as the subwoofer.

5. I'm not sure this answers your whole question, but maybe a part of it. Just because a speaker can play a range of frequencies doesn't mean you have to send them there. Many players who play with subs - 15s and 18s - employ a crossover. You can use a two way mono crossover to send only low end info to the subs and only the mids / highs to generally smaller cabs with tweeter / horns, like 10s. But they build the cabs to play full range when needed in case a player only brings one cabinet. Make sense?

6. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    cool... Thanks, that pretty much satisfies my curiosity... Just havent seen enough cabs.

7. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Mate, thats not a stupid question. This is a stupid question.

What does crossover mean? Is it overlapping of frequencies between two speakers, e.g. one speaker goes 50Hz to 1kHz and the other does 800Hz to 20kHz.

8. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    I'm probly not the most qualified to answer this, but as I understand its what divides the frequencies between the speakers meant to handle them... ie you have a 12 and a tweeter in a cab, if you want the lows going to the 12 inch and the highs going to the tweeter then the crossover is what divides the frequency spectrum to the too speakers.

9. To put it very simply, a crossover is a signal splitting device that allows you to set a crossover point so that you can send frequencies above that point to one amp / set of speakers and below that point go to another amp / set of speakers. Pratical application is that you send highs to tweeters and lows to woofers. Really though, it's generally not a set a single point - it's two overlapping pass filters, one high, one low, that overlap. I normally don't trust Wikipedia but this looks like a reasonable explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_crossover

10. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Whoa!

I'm gonna try it, tonight!

:D

Joe.