1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A stupid question!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HarQ_X, Oct 31, 2001.

1. HarQ_X

HarQ_X

May 14, 2001
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Hi i'm a real & totally newbie!
    i want to know about the passive / active pickups.... what's the difference? i really don't know cause i'm a ultra NeWBie (and a kid maybe...)

Thx for answering it'll help me!

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Passive pickups are wound with sufficient wire to generate a current that will produce a signal (electric current) without the aid of a preamplifer. The disadvantage of this is that too many windings will increase capacitance and reduce the high-frequency response of the pickup. Also, passive tone controls are incapable of boosting any frequencies; they work by adding capacitance to the passive circuit, further decreasing high frequencies.

"True" active pickups aren't wound with so much wire in order to reduce capacitance and preserve upper-end frequency response in the pickup; these require a preamp (usually built into the bass and powered by a 9V battery) in order to function. Most basses don't use true active pickups, but rather a combination of passive pickups and an active preamp. This combination provides the tone-shaping cut-boost possibilities of the onboard preamp while also permitting the bass to run in passive mode in case the 9V battery fails mid-performance.

FYI, most newbie questions have already been answered on this board before. I'd recommend doing a search before posting.