A stupid question!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HarQ_X, Oct 31, 2001.

1. HarQ_X

May 14, 2001
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Hi i'm a real & totally newbie!
    i want to know about the passive / active pickups.... what's the difference? i really don't know cause i'm a ultra NeWBie (and a kid maybe...)

Thx for answering it'll help me!
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Passive pickups are wound with sufficient wire to generate a current that will produce a signal (electric current) without the aid of a preamplifer. The disadvantage of this is that too many windings will increase capacitance and reduce the high-frequency response of the pickup. Also, passive tone controls are incapable of boosting any frequencies; they work by adding capacitance to the passive circuit, further decreasing high frequencies.

"True" active pickups aren't wound with so much wire in order to reduce capacitance and preserve upper-end frequency response in the pickup; these require a preamp (usually built into the bass and powered by a 9V battery) in order to function. Most basses don't use true active pickups, but rather a combination of passive pickups and an active preamp. This combination provides the tone-shaping cut-boost possibilities of the onboard preamp while also permitting the bass to run in passive mode in case the 9V battery fails mid-performance.

FYI, most newbie questions have already been answered on this board before. I'd recommend doing a search before posting.