Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A suggestion for the mods:"Where/what to see/check for bassists" database city-by-cit

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mr M, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Hi,

What do you think about a database showing where to check in a city for a bassist (on subject of musical instruments and bass players) covering as many countries and cities as possible? I mean where the musical instrument shops are, is it worth to check them, which brands they usually stock etc. Any local luthier etc. Or which bar, concert hall etc. to check for good local bass players etc. Of course a bass player could check everywhere in a city :) but I narrowed the subject on musical instruments, luthiers, bass players..

I had the chance to be abroad quite a good number of time (mostly touristic reasons) and after visiting the most popular places (for example Eiffel Tower, Louvre Museum etc. in Paris) I try to check local musical instrument shop (for the same example Musical instrument shops near the Pigale Circus). Most of the time it is not easy to find the musical instrument shops as most of them have no websites or it is hard to find them through Google. And generally people don't know where the musical instrument shops are (the help desk/concierge at hotels etc.). If a database is formed (like the instrument reviews on the TB) and TB'ers enter infos about the subject for their city (and other cities if they know) we can have a good source of information.

And we can check it before going there, without fighting to find something through google trying to understand the hungarian language :) or trying to explain the reception ladies that there were only some luths and second hand violins the place that they've suggested you which was at the other side of the city ;)

What do you think about it? Do you think is it doable?

I can for instance give info for Istanbul. There is nothing to see for a bass player :D OK just joking...

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well it's an awful lot of work for a city like London - who's going to do it..? :meh:

I would say nice to have - but unrealistic to expect anybody will do it and even less likely to be kept up to date!!

To me it's like most "database" projects - people want infornation out, but they don't want to have to put anything (any effort) in!! ;)

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don;t want crazy internet stalkers finding me and raping me.