Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A suggestion for total fret board command

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ras1983, Aug 9, 2005.

1. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Please note: this only applies if your bass is tuned in standard 5ths.

There have been a few posts on total fret board command recently, so i would like to tell you guys the method i am using to help me learn the freatboard. (i am not there fully, but i'm getting there ;) )

this isn't a quick fix solution; it is a logical way of learning the frets.
    (as a student engineer i can only understand things in patterns/formations).

1. Learn the first 5 frets of each string. I say only the first five because the 5th fret becomes the same note of the next string.

2. The tuning of the bass provides a useful pattern, frets 6-10 on any given string are the same as frets 1-5 of the next string up.

Example:
    Frets 1-5 of the A string are Bb B C Db D
    This means that frets 6-10 of the E string are also Bb B C Db D

This pattern repeats on the entire fret board, so you have to be able to visualise the notes of the first five frets of each string repeating the same pattern on the whole fretboard.

So;
    The first 5 frets of all the strings are

C string : Db D Eb E F
    G string : Ab A Bb B C
    D string : Eb E F Gb G
    A string : Bb B C Db D
    E string : F Gb G Ab A
    B string : C Db D Eb E

The same pattern of notes keeps repeating itself over and over again.

So the following occurs:

D string: Eb E F Gb G Ab A Bb B C Db D
    A string: Bb B C Db D Eb E F Gb G Ab A
    E string: F Gb G Ab A Bb B C Db D Eb E F Gb G
    At the 12th fret, the pattern starts over. so frets 13-17 of the A string are Bb B C Db D

It also helps to learn what notes if PHYSICALLY above another.
    i.e. the same fret but one string higher.

You can see from the list i have made above that C is always above G, D is always above A, Bb is always above F; etc.

I hope this helps. i am not a teacher, nor do i pretend to be one. this is just my method for learning the notes on the fretboard. :)

2. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    D string: Eb E F Gb G Ab A Bb B C Db D
    A string: Bb B C Db D Eb E F Gb G Ab A
    E string: F Gb G Ab A Bb B C Db D Eb E F Gb G
    At the 12th fret, the pattern starts over. so frets 13-17 of the A string are Bb B C Db D

Now I may be wrong but I think you have your notes a little wrong. Here is the way they are in a book of mine.

E string F F# G G# A
    A String A# B C C# D
    D String D# E F F# G
    G String G# A A# B C

Now like I said I may be wrong but I don't think so.

3. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    F# = Gb,A# = Bb and so forth. its actually the same note, but it can be written as either the sharp of the lower note, or the flat of the higher note. ;)

I wrote them in flats because most of the sheet music i have come across at church has been written in flats.

Most guitar chords on tehe sheet music i have seen have been in fllats, interestingly enough.

4. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    Oh ok I see then, I think I remember hearing that somewhere before.

5. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Looks like a good deal to me. I'm always looking for tools to help me improve my playing.

Thanks for posting.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    It's been a while since I've thought about this but when I was learning the notes what I did was

Learn the 1st 3rd 5th 7th 8th 10th fret i.e. the notes with out sharp or flats then realise that a semi tone either side is a sharp or flat except around C and F

Do the same on the A string

Most of the other notes on the D and G strings can be found by working via octaves from the other two strings

It also helps that for the most part the notes that aren't sharp or flat on the E and A strings are on dotted frets with one or two exceptions that you can find for yourself;)

Hmm maybe not as straight forward as I thought it was before I wrote this but there's another method for anyone whos interested