Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a sunken truss rod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by watanabe71, Oct 22, 2005.

1. watanabe71

watanabe71

Feb 19, 2005
    Italy
    Goodmorning,
    i'm buying a 71 Precision bass (without trying it).
    It has the truss rod a little bit deep into the neck but the seller said to me that it works in each directions and that the neck is stright without any buzz problems. But why it's so deep? Is it normal? Does it has an heavy tension on it? What does it means?
    Thanks,
    Franco.

this is a pics of the problem:
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/watanabe71/altri bassi/IMG_1270.jpg

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That shouldn't be a problem at all. As long as the truss rod works, then you are fine. I guess if it REALLY bothered you, you could take the neck off, remove the nut, and put some proper size washer in there assuming the rod has enough threads for that at the end of it.

3. watanabe71

watanabe71

Feb 19, 2005
    Italy
    Thanks Trevorus,
    but what does it means? Is it compressed?
    Franco.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Not necessarily. It could hve just been built in that way. The nut apparently works, so that means it presses on the neck like it should, just that the rod may be a bit shorter. But the nut contacts the inside of the neck just fine. I would really be concerned if the nut stuck out, cause that could be bad.

5. watanabe71

watanabe71

Feb 19, 2005
    Italy
    Thanks Trevorus,
    maybe if the truss rod was so compressed, it or the wood would breaks immediately; am i right?
    Franco.