A symbiotic advantage???????????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman blue, Aug 3, 2005.

1. I've been off for a week now recovering from an injury. So after my morning routine, I practice just about all day, well except for eating and maybe a nap. Tough to take, I know, but somebody has to do it. I've been playing one bass all week (besides a bit of time on my upright) and have found that the extra time with it has really made me keenly aware of it's nuances.

Okay, here's the question. So are we doing ourselves any justice by having several electric basses and playing all of them? My PJ style bass, arguably, can do everything I need it to do, especially when I employ an outboard preamp and other toys. Jaco I suspect only had one bass at a time and from what I have read, carried it everywhere. Does this connection with one bass make us better players? I'd like to hear what one-bass owners/players and multi-bass owners/players have to say about this.
  2. Personally I think one bass is better. You know that bass better than the back of your hand. Although I do have multiple basses, I almost NEVER play anything but my '78 Fender P. It might sound weird, but I can connect to it better and manipulate it better if I only play one bass rather than multiples.
    I think people who have multiple basses have them just to have them rather than play them all. Like me. I have 4 basses. Why? Just to collect them. I love them all, but i'll never replace my '78 P. (unless I find my dream, a '62 Jazz, or maybe even a '72 jazz)
    That's just my Opinion, and i'm sure there will be many who disagree on this topic, and will post here soon.
  3. jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    one bass IS better... until it falls apart leaving you a broken man :(

my poor ergie :(
  4. I burn up my 4 string because I'm more comfortable with it. Yes I know it better and probably play better on it overall than all other instruments or even other 4 string basses. But switching from my 4 string to the piano or 6 string (bass or guitar) sometimes makes me develop or try something I wouldn't ordinarily try/notice on the other.

Similar to the fashion where some people might compose a song on something else then their "comfort" instrument so they don't fall into loopholes/pitfalls of their comfort instrument and really let the music just flow from them. *shrug* whatever helps you really.

What injury did you get to stay home and play guitar all day?? Can I do it too??!?!?!
  5. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I own and play several basses. I like them all for different reasons. I guess it's like food, I love steak but I wouldn't wanna eat it every night.
  6. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I dissagree. I think many people do need several basses. That is many ...not all. I myself found heavy favor with a bongo 4 HH. That thing is extremely versitile and I can play pretty much any style I want on it by adjusting the knobs. However, the action on it is pretty low, which I like. For certain songs that my band plays I use distortion and I find that a bass with higher action gives me a better sound. This is where I turn to another bass-one of my own creation.

I think most of the time we just buy basses not because of the need of a different sound, but because of gas.
  7. From my perspective, i will need at least 4 basses, 2 fretted, 2 fretless. a fretted and fretless as mains, then the other two as back ups/alternatives just to be safe.

But i know what you mean. I mainly stick with one because it's my best and now it's like home. Makes selling the other one a little easier.