Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Tale of Three Fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by burk48237, Apr 15, 2005.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Last night I had some business in the fair eastern suburbs of Motown, so I decided while there to drop in on a couple of Music stores. The first was Huber and Breese (a quality general music store NE of Detroit) My experiences in this store have been mixed, and even though I've spent money here before I've always had the feeling they weren't interested if I didn't have my checkbook visable. Of note they had some beautiful new Tobias highend stuff, they are a custom Gibson Dealer and a fine array of Ken Smiths in stock. Then it was off to the new Gutiar Center, just to check it out, this store is in a new location about a block from the old store and has always been a beter store personal wise then my local store (Southfield MI). The store is larger but looks smaller , more about that latter. Now the good stuff, At Huber and Breese I tried two basses a Custom shop 64 Closet Classic Jazz and a Custom shop Jaco Relic, and now the details:

64 Closet Classic: This bass felt great, not to heavy, neck was too die fore, and looked like the reel thing. The tone was old Motown, the lines to "lets get it on" and" I want you back" jumped off the neck, the strings, nickle rounds matched the bass well. Only complaint was the set up, action was high, and intonation was off, still a cool bass, but should be for about 3500$

Jaco Custom Relic: Another great neck, and set up was much better on this Jazz. There was no need to dial in low action "frettless Mwhah" the set up was perfect. This bass had flats which disapointed a little, it played great but the tone wasn't quite there. I'm sure with roundwounds it would be much easier to get the Jaco "burp" but I wouldn't trade my Buzz for it. All in All the custom shop is certantly putting out some fine instruments.

Now on to GC, my first walk thru didn't prove to show me anything that caught my eye. On the second pass I saw a guy playing a Squire custom five, red transperant body , pearl pickguard, maple finger board. We got to chattin and I asked him if I could check it out. The action and setup were excellent, the bass had a good slap tone,(first time I had done that all nite) and spoke with Authority playing fingerstyle. Probobly the best all around bass I had played that night! The price 249$ used!!!!! I would have jumped all over it, but I had a feeling it was already spoken for.

Now my conclusions, If I could own any bass I played last night it would be the 64, vibe, feel, and the feeling that a with a good set up it would rock were just too much. But don't thumb your noises at that 249 job in the corner, it was without a doubt the best "all around" bass of the bunch! One other quick note, I don't know who is desighning the new GC's but they are nasty cluttered examples of how not to desighn a store. I spent years in reatail mercandising, and I have never seen a corporate "look" come out sooo bad!

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    $3500 for a closet classic is about $1000 more than anywhere I've ever seen them. My '59 Relic PBass had a sticker of $2300 at Guitar Center (not that I paid anything for it :smug: ).

The two CS '64 Jazz Basses I've played have both been amazing.

And, the Relic Jaco that I played was hands down the best fretless Jazz I've ever played. Period.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You will never hear me talk down about a Squire PRecsion Custom Five, these are great sounding basses. They may not always have the smoothest frets, their electronics could be upgraded, but that is a fine J-style bass. When I catch my breath from getting my SR5, I may pickup one again as a second bass.

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    ++1 on the GC comment, what a cluster!!!I checked out my "local" GC tonight and it was a MESS..they have the Ampeg "dial-a-combo" where you select an amp and cab. I plugged-in a bass and found that most the cabs were not plugged-in, the ones that were plugged-in where 25' apart so, had I been seriously interested in a cab, I had to migrate to a different part of the store to hear it and work my way back to the amp to fiddle with the EQ!!What a MESS!!