A Tale of Two Cabinets.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Mar 18, 2004.

1. 2 new GS112s: CDN$1150 total [IMG]http://www.basscentral.com/basscombo/amps/agu_gs112_tn.jpg[/IMG][I

29 vote(s)
  2. Minty used Ampeg SVT-410HLF: CDN$700 total [IMG]http://www.musiccitysydney.com.au/store/media/SVT-41

21 vote(s)
  1. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Have the option of getting a mint used Ampeg SVT-410HLF for CDN$700, or a couple of brand new Aguilar GS112s for about CDN$1150. I'll be running about 600 watts into 4 ohms.

What would you do?
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Aggie all the way.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I would go for the 1x12s just for the convenience. Easy to carry. For practice, you can just take one, for a louder gig take two. But then I keep my equipment in the basement and carrying it up and down the stairs is a problem.
  4. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Whoah, I didn't know you could put images in polls now. :)

BTW go with the Aggies.
  5. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Not trying to sway you either way, but I would try to find the gear used, if at all possible. That way, if for some reason it's not the sound you are looking for, you can usually sell the gear without taking the big depreciation hit. Oh yeah, go with the Aggies! ;)
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you're in a trio, or smaller group, and also have a semi parametric, or an EQ on your amp or preamp that's really versatile, get the Aggies. will really fill up the sound of an empty smaller group.

if you're in a bigger band, with a dense onstage mix that's really busy, and you need to to hear yourself with minimal EQ'ing from your amp head, get the 4x10.

both should be about equal in volume.

if you've got a bad back, or are just plain lazy like myself :smug: , get the Aggie pair.
  7. I can only say that the ampeg cab is really great, I played one recently, and totally loved it.
  8. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I dunno, there's been a couple of people who've picked up thier aggie 12's recently, that were a little disenchanted right off. I guess it depends on what you want, Geezer...

Do you want a cab setup thats punchy, or a little fatter, w/ the mids scooped?

4x10's = punchier & better mids
    Dual aggies = great over all sound, but mids scooped.

According to recent reviewers indications...

I've never heard the aggies, so I wont vote. But, I think JokerJny makes some good points...
  9. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    What kind of music do play?

What's level of willingness to carry objects?

Aggie is more flexible in terms of tone and weight.

If you have a reggae gig - Ampeg all the way - if you don't mind carrying it.
  10. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Close race...

I am looking at something to go with my RBI pre + Yorkville poweramp rack 400w x2 @ 8 ohms. Something portable is a plus, and I like sweet sounds first and foremost. It will be for everything from jamming around town to thumping at a large bar down the road. Have a Hot Rod P with flats and a Stingray with rounds. Like all sorts of different music: From Motown to System of a Down.
  11. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    With that much power, I would surely go with the Aggies. For a small gig, you could bring just one. 400 watts@ 8ohm will power that just fine. Two of them would rock!