Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A tale of two MTD's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I recently got a Beast 5 and a Kingston 5 almost simultaneously. The Beast being the "European" model, and the Kingston, of course, being made in Korea. The Beast, for me, is "nice", but the Kingston blows me away. I wasn't always sure what people meant by a "throaty" sound, but I definitely get it now.

As I mentioned previously, I was totally diggin' the Axcelerator 6 I got from Bassdr, but I'm having low back trouble, and was looking for something lighter. The MTD's are definitely lightweight, even with their big fat bodies. Very rounded contours as well, nice for those of us who have a problem with our right hand falling asleep.

So the K5 is the keeper of the two, I'm not so sure about the Beast. I may try it with some flatwounds (probably TI or Roto 77) to see if it perks up. The Beast is much more trebly, and the Kingston is all about the mids. If you want to be heard, you could do a lot worse than a K5. Both seem a tad bottom-shy, but not so much that a little EQ wouldn't take care of it.

My K5 is black, and I have to say it looks a lot better in person than any pic I've seen on the Internet. I like the pearloid guard as well. On both basses, the pickups weren't withing shouting distance of the strings, so I had to add a bit of foam. I haven't bought a DT-7 tuner yet, so I can't say much about the BFTS at this point (on the Kingston).

Now I'm thinking that the Heir is probably the best of both worlds, though I haven't played one yet.