1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Tale of Two Spectors..... or "what the Dickens??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassikLee, Jul 7, 2012.

1. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    See what I did there?? Ok, never mind.....

This thread will run down the repair of two "broke neck" spectors.

Our story begins.... I walk into a gtr shop, about six or eight months ago, and the owner greets me, we exchange war stories, etc. I inform him that I am always on the lookout for old Korean neck thru Spector basses, as I have a fondness for the NS2005s I have, used to have, and will soon have. He procedes to show me a VERY CLEAN NS95, with a "truss rod issue". He assures me that his tech is going to sort it out, and the bass will be for sale for about my price range, soon. Fast forward six months, NS95 still isn't fixed. I offer him two basses in trade for it, one is a no name 5 string, the other is a Peavey Millenium BXP 5. I have about $150 into BOTH of these basses. He goes for the deal. I bring home the cripled NS95.

I have learned that the truss rod in these things is removable, so I ordered a few rods from our very own Martin Keith. Short version: within about twenty minutes of opening the package with the new rods, the NS95 is strung up, neck is great, I iz happy.

Bass number two: A while back, there was a "zebop 5 with bad neck" advertised here for sale. Several of us expressed interest in said bass, but the owner kind of backed off of the idea of selling it. On a whim, I PMd him about it several months later. Low and behold, he's still got the bass, and he offers to sell me just the body/guts, dirt cheap. I ask about the neck...... he says no, not playable, garbage, etc. I say "how much more to include the neck??" and we settle on a still cheap price. I think only Dr Cheese has less $$ into a Zebop 5 than I do! Short version for now, as it is almost bedtime for me, is that thus far, the bass has a new rod. The FB had to come off, cuz I broke the old rod. Turns out, it had to come off anyway, as I had to perform surgery to fit the new rod anyway. The FB is back on, and between the new rod, and my "glue the FB on with the neck forced into a back bow" gtr fixxit hack method, she is looking good. I will post further details, as well as before/after pics (including some recreated "stunt pics"), as time allows. As I told the seller tonight, I have no fantasy about this one ever being pristine, but I am confident it will set up with my crazy/stupid low action of approx 1.5mm at the 24th fret. All my basses set up that low, including my two Brice jazz basses that aren't worth selling.

Pics, text to follow. Ask anything you want, except what I paid for it. Tell me how wrong I am for doing the hack job that I am doing to it, if you must. I do not claim to be a pro at this, by any means.

Thanx,

Lee