Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A tale of two yorvilles.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Yorkville XM-200T with XC-115X Ext. Cab

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Yorkville XS400H with 2 Avatar CB112 cabs.

18 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    So yeah, here I am, stuck between getting two rigs. This time it is between getting a Yorkville XM-200T with an XC115X extension cabinet, or getting the Yorkville XS400H (with the tube preamp) and getting an Avatar CB112, with the intention of getting a second Avatar once I sell my snare drum and my LA-15. So what should I get? I really want tube OD, and would rather have it from a real tube, as opposed to something else, as well as having the flexibility of upgrading cabs later on, but the combo format is fairly convenient and portable. What should i do? I've heard many great things about the XS400H (especially here), and after I have enough money, I could upgrade the Avatars to yorkville cabs.

For those who have tried the XS400H, I have a few questions:

-Is there enough tube OD to get a good late 60's/early 70's Entwistle tone (before he switched to Sunn)(esp at woodstock and live at leeds)?

-Does having the tube OD engaged increase sustain and could you coax feedback out of it?

-How hot does the amp get?

-How loud is it?

-Does it rock? :bassist: ;)

Thanks for reading my thread and for voting in the poll. :)

EDIT: the XS400 combo is out of the question, because I don't like the sound of a single 15, and a 210 under a 15 just looks stupid.

2. chickbird

chickbird

Apr 14, 2003
    Missouri
    I voted for the xm200T w/15" just because they have never let me down. I just wish i had a better bass to play through mine.

3. I'm not sure if switching from Avatar cabs to Yorkville cabs would be considered an "upgrade".

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Well, visual upgrade, and the Yorkville 410s go down to 41hz, and the avatars go down to 53hz. :meh: Plus, Yorkvilles are supposedly very efficient.

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Little late getting my vote in...I would have voted for the XS400 option had you gone for Yorkville Cabs...

6. The XM200 / 200T combos are very nice....but I think I'd get the XS400H and buy one Yorkie 2x10 - that way you will not have wasted your mondey in the future :)

7. Actually, go for the XC115X cab first of all - it'll save you $100 on initial purchase, sound great and you won't feel like you spent way more the you would have on the Avatars - then just save for the 2x10 Yorkie!

8. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    Buy an XS400T (2x10)... and later get the 115 yorkville cab... disable all tweeters!!!

9. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    wow, Grapes, you really don't like tweeters, eh! :D

You can set the XS400 combo amps to disengage the tweeter by not overiding the tweeter mute and then setting the tube overdrive to on while leaving the Tube drive knob at zero if you don't want any drive and are just looking for an unaffected bass tone with now tweeter. If you want drive, then adjust drive level and mix to taste.

The XC115X has no tweeter, so it's a "mute" point! :D