Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Talkbass Challenge: Calling Everyone Out

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jazzbo, Jan 24, 2002.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    The only Talkbasser I've ever met was ASR, from Houston. He was kind enough to invite me to his home, (very nice guy), and I jammed with him. What I realized, is how woefully unprepared I was to play in the rock genre. It was tragic. They kept calling out popular tunes that I just didn't know.

I was reminded of this recently during a lesson. I came to realize that all I ever practice is jazz, and while I have a diverse practice routine, (ear training, site reading, theory, jazz, some classical), 90% of what I do is jazz. So, it's time to challenge myself.

So, I'm calling anybody out who's interested. Do you want to challenge yourself?!?

Here are the rules. You find one particular thing that you have little or no exposure to. (I thought up some examples below). Then, make a post describing what it is. Work hard on it all week, using whatever resources you have to find out how to do that, (i.e. internet, teacher, etc.). Then, after exactly one week from your original post, come back and tell us:

- how much time you put into it,
    - what exactly you did,
    - how much progress you made.

Some ideas might be:

• Sight reading
    • Ear training, (learning to recognize intervals, chords, relative pitch, etc.)
    • Study of a different genre, (a metal or punk player studying Motown for a week)
    • A different bass, (borrowing a friends fretless, or 6 string)
    • A technique, (slap, pop, tap)
    • Song writing (writing in a different genre, writing lyrics if you've only ever written instrumental pieces, etc.)

This is just off the top of my head. Anyone interested? If so, I'll start us off, as I already have an idea for myself.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I suck at holding a Slab down around my ankles and fIeLdY sLaPpInG the bottom string. If I decide to work on this, does it mean I gotta get a tattoo or weird contact lenses or something?

Sorry, I couldn't resist ;)

3. hmm....

Give me some time to settle into my class schedule for this new semester, and I'll probably play along. I'll probably end up picking someone pretty beginner-oriented since I'm trying to learn "from the ground up." I've been a mess-around tab junkie for the first 4 years of my playing time, and it's gotten me nowhere. :mad:

I hate tabs. They're evil.

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I will practice site reading.

I will also practice timing / feel for the funk tunes I am playing.

Wish me luck!

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    already doing just that JB

Theory
    Site Reading
    Listening to various styles of music to improve on my versatility
    Ear Training

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    What Ed said-

My two objectives-
    1)Groove like a drummer
    2)Solo like a horn player

...still, working on #1(& after almost 30 years, too. Pathetic).

Though, I do agree, a bassist needs to be versatile.

7. Good Idea
    it will be sight reading for me

8. i think i'll work on my theory and chordal playing, i have Mike Dimin's book now, so

also i think i'll get a bit more down with my drummer, he's a great guy, we work well, but we could compliment each other better!!

great idea JAZZbo

i too sometimes feel that jazz is my life,, just look at my CD collection :rolleyes: ,, however i can never, ever embrace the world of KOrn or similar bands :)

stu

9. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    i cAN fInAlLy lUrN tAbZ. Film at eleven.

...waiting for the thorazine to kick in

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's been a major 'problem' for me going back to the first day I stumbled into this place... ;)

11. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'll work on finding an instructor who teaches double bass and electric for jazz.

12. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Since lil ol me is definatly the least experienced in the Tabevil Clan I better get my butt to work, I can't even see myself jamming with some of you guys! :eek:

Ok, one particular thing that I need to work on? That would be my ear training. I'm doing better at interval recognition, but not as well in trying to cop basslines. I'm actually working on a few songs at the moment, so let's see where I go with those. :)

So I guess what that winds down to is if I was jamming with a few of you guys (or in a band situation.....though I do have solo plans like Mr. Lawson down in the Pros), if you said "let's play so-and-so song", I would hope I'd be able to play the song even if I've only heard it a few times.

13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

JazzBo, your challenge is such a great idea, but dang the lluck, I am in the middle of preparing to sell my house and move to another state. That ordeal occupies most of my time now. I hope you will continue your challenge and make it at least a monthly event. Hopefully I can join in once I get through all this business.

14. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I really outta learn how to play with a pick (no joke). I can read, slap passably, and have a decent ear. But I can't play with a pick AT ALL. Every time I try, I hate it and give up after 10 seconds because it feels so unnatural. But occasionally I'll hear something played with a pick (most recently the "Judge Judy" theme), and think, "Ya know, I really should be able to do that." I mean, if Fieldy can do it...

15. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    You know, I'm going out on the road on Sunday, with a concert band. (bear with me....) One of the pieces we're doing is a 5 movement piece of Williams' Star Wars music. Movement I is the "Imperial Theme". Of course, I'm playing this on DB with a bow but one of our drummers came up with a cool half-time funk to go over those 'quarter, eighth, 16th triplet' figures that run throughout.... impossible to play on electric with my fingers, but if I had a pick.....

nah, screw it, too much work :D

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Lemmy work on my slapping. Small children run screaming in terror when I try to slap. Slap and I shouldn't be in the same room together. Slap hates me, I just know it.

:D

17. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Jazzbo,i have the complete opposite problem!I play %95 rock and 5% jazz.I got to work on more jazz.I think tonight im gonna tab out a miles davis tune,probably "so what".I'm gonna give it a shot soon.If i ever finish I'll post it up here.

18. I'd like to work on slap, but I know I need to work on ear training. I have to sit next to the radio with my ear pressed against the speaker, and often have to record, and listen to 50 times before I can figure out a bassline.

Also, Scale, and Chord figuring out is needed.

19. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Everyone's making excuses...

"I'm moving to another state..."

"I just started a new semester..."

C'mon guys pull it together!I expect to see more out of you,whine,whine,whine,thats all I hear from you!

Sorry,I'm having a nervous breakdown because I still don't know what I got on the algebra exam,and if I don't pass I'll have a D on my report card,and move to Math C,but while all this is happening,I STILL FIND TIME TO PLAY BASS!