1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD A Talkbass First - 1970's Ampeg Big Stud Bass (Telecaster Style) ALL ORIGINAL!!!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Quadzilla, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Like most, I need some cash to pay bills and my other two basses for sale are not moving, so with much anguish and regret, I'm listing this for sale. :crying:

All original and in EXCELLENT overall condition (some minor dings, etc, please see the pictures in the picture link at the bottom of the thread). She is wearing a set of old flats right now that sound great!

The other great news is that she is a player! Low, no-buzz action! A very cool and unique bass. Most that I've seen for sale over the years (which is not often, as a matter of fact, this is the first one posted FS on talkbass from what I can tell), are in far worse condition and don't have the ashtrays or a case, etc. Check out the nice grain and the FLAMED fretboard! The pearloid part have aged to a beautiful, rich yellow-pearl. She is quite versatile. This really sticks out on this bass as each pickup has it's own distinct sound and tone.

I see that there are a few of it's lower-end counterparts (and lower priced) for sale right now on Ebay. That model is called the "Little Stud" and those are priced at $600 - $700. I'll let this go for just $645. This is something that you don't see everyday. Great player and priced to move! Grab it before I change my mind (which could be any minute)!

More Pictures ---> Ampeg Big Stud pictures by Quadzilla69 - Photobucket

20120124_152246.

20120124_154028.

20120124_154129.

20120124_154204.

20120124_152306.

20120124_182841.

20120124_152320.

2. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    If I had the money. That thing is too cool for words.

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    The one I got to play just had this huge thumpy bass tone and the neck was fantastic. GLWTS.

4. Killer fingerboard bump!

5. GaryLC

GaryLC Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    FRed,

How would you describe the sound of this? What does it compare to?
    I'd probably put some rounds on it, would it have some bark?
    34" scale?

6. Quadzilla

Hi Gary!!!! Overall I'd say that she is very thumpy and more old-school than new school. This may be in a large part due to the old flats that are on her. One very important thing that I forgot to point out is that she is quite versatile. This really sticks out on this bass as each pickup has it's own distinct sound and tone.

7. digitalmoney

digitalmoney

Nov 13, 2011
    Appleton WI
    Is the first knob cocentric?
    For each pup volume?

8. Quadzilla

I'll pull her out of the case later, but as I recall, the knobs are volume and the other is tone (like a P bass). There is also a 3-way pickup switch (neck/both/bridge).

9. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Shweeeet!

10. leojazz

leojazz Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Boston MA
    Droollllll!!!

11. Is the neck pickup under the cover a single, split coil or mudbucker design? Interesting orientation of bridge cover, probably installed thusly @ the factory.

12. mikeddd

mikeddd Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Wow, now here's something you don't see every day! It's a Tele...no...it's a Ric...no...it's a 50's P....no, it's a something-or-other. :D

I dig how the toggle switch is just sort of throw on the middle of the lower horn, right through the PG. And of course, the natural aging on that neck is a thing of beauty.

Don't want to derail anything b/c I've no interest in this, but in the last pic, it looks like there's a screw hole about 1/2" to the left of the top edge of the ashtray. Any idea what that's for? I've never seen anything like this and just am curious to learn all I can about them.

GLWTS!

13. Fred, DUDE! Where did you find this thing?!? I can't buy it cause the last 2 basses I bought on here were yours but you should just give it to me;)

Anyway, I love it.

14. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    joker-batman-1989.

"Where does Quadzilla get those wonderful toys?"

If I was Bruce Wayne wealthy I'd have a blast buying all the cool toys you sell off.

15. Quadzilla

Single coil at the neck. Here is a picture of one with the covers off:

(the bass in the below picture is NOT MINE!!!!).

[​IMG]

Note - the bass in the above picture is NOT MINE!!!!.

16. Quadzilla

Yes, 34" scale.

17. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Awesome bass, great seller :)

18. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    Gorgeous bass - GLWTS.

19. Quadzilla

I just checked her. The knobs are like a P (vol and tone) and then there is the three-way toggle switch (neck pup / both / bridge pup).

20. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I saw this on my Local CL today.

Here's a you live ten minutes away from me BUMP!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.