a Taperwound question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chris Brodowski, Mar 5, 2002.

1. I have a question. I do know that taperwounds help intonation on the lower strings, especially E, B, and the (John Turner:D ) low F#, but i am inquiring about a different aspect:

What do taperwounds do for string tension? Let's say I'm debating what gauge B-string to put on a 34 or 35'' scale 5 (for the other 4 string i would have 45,65,85,110). I have it down to these four choices:

1) .130'' (i've played some floppy .130''s, but they were mostly on crappy necks, which I know is a major factor)
    2) .130TW''
    3) .135''
    4) .135TW"

Which one of these four would give the most tension? I know it also depends on the brand, but a general idea would help. Thanks.

2. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Taper wounds have less tension.
    That standard 135 would have the most tension.
    The heavier the string the more tension it will have when tuned up.
    I used to think taper was the way to go but I am not sure anymore. I have been getting fantastic results with a standard core 130 B.
  3. Tension is determined by the core, not by the winding.

I have various tension specs in my spreadsheet below, in the STRINGS tab. Most are empty, as they are unpublished. Rotosound will not publish any tension specs.

There is a generic tension computer for different gauge strings on the GHS site.

Link to GHS Tension Computer
  4. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    So are different gauges determined by the core?
    I thought it was the wrap. I am no expert on these things. I do know that a 105 E string will have more tension than a 95 E string. Both tuned to E of course. Just from feel. It is quite obvious.
  5. Tension is determined mostly by the weight of the string. The heavier it is, the more tension it takes to get it up to pitch. There may be other factors as well, but this is the main one.