Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A teacher at my school thinks that mics are the worst thing to use i have a question

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jazzbassnerd, Aug 27, 2002.

1. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    The teacher says that mics are old school and not the way to go. I've only heared good things about the Golden Trinity with a bass max. The teacher says that every one he knows that has a mic always turns it all the way down and just uses the pickup. He suggest getting a magnetic pickup to blend with my bass max. Just wanted to get some more bass players opinions.

thanks
    ~scott

2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hard to answer that one. . . Probably the best I can say is that in music there are a lot of opinions on many subjects. Go with your teacher's advice, and give it a good honest try. But remember that you may want to experiment with other viewpoints down the road.
    I use mostly a mic -Rode NT3, but I usually mix in a Bass Max if the mic starts to feed back on me.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Your teacher is obviously biased against mics. Mics DO feed back, and they are a pain in the *** at times. On the other hand, nothing captures the REAL ACOUSTIC SOUND of your bass like a mic, either. While it's true that on many louder gigs, many people turn their pickups up, you need to remember that it doesn't take a whole lot of mic in the blend to add that crucial element of "woodiness" and warmth that makes all the difference in your sound.

Also, in my experience, every magnetic pickup I've ever played through makes whatever it's attached to sound like a slab. Period. If your goal is a natural acoustic sound, this is NOT the way to go (In my opinion).

4. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    It also depends greatly on what type of music you are playing and at what volume.
    I wouldn't get a magnetic pickup unless I was playing rockabilly or some other kind of louder more aggressive music.
    I've used a mic and a pickup combined and I make my choices based on the sound of the room and playing volume and band. Recently I did a three piece blues/swing gig using the Golden Trinity and my Realist pickup and ended up turning down the mic all the way just like your teacher said because the sound just wasn't happening and the pickup sounded much better.
    On the other hand I did a three piece wedding reception with piano and sax and I turned the pickup all the way down and just used the Golden Trinity because the sound was really good. There is no blanket answer. As bass players our sound is greatly affected by rooms and acoustics and we have to stay flexible, even on electric bass gigs.

5. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    There are a lot of these guys going around, who grew up with that '70's sound and think it's great. I always offer to buy them a plywood and take their nice carved bass, since with a magnetic pickup they will sound the same.

I saw a bassist in TX once with a great old Hawkes who had extremely low action and a magnetic pickup. It put out virtually no acoustic sound.

Monte

6. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I also heard that period, and I remember Wynton saying on his records "No Dreaded Bass Direct". Just did a session this morning where they used a Neuman, best sound I've heard. . .

7. robw

robw

May 14, 2001
    Long Beach, CA
    Uh-Ohhh.... Did I hear someone mention Wynton around Ed? To the hills!

8. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey I didn't mean to say Wynton!;)
    I was just talking about the period where bass players like Chris McBride (who appears in ads for the Realist pickup now) started using mics or no amp at all.

9. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I just got the Golden Trinity upgrade kit the other day (thanks, Bob!), and can honestly say my bass never sounded better. I use the mic alone unless the volume gets too high, or add just enough of the pickup in to add a nice little mid bump I EQ'ed in. Anyone who argues against mics obviously hates the true sound of the bass. I'd push a mic as far as I could before it crapped out just to keep that sound.

10. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Why am I excluded? I feel all alone:( . Oh wait, maybe it is because I do exactly what Ed's talking about.

Ed is exactly right. Although I deal with an el cheapo PA, the room still sounds really nice by running my bass through that. I used to use my Acoustic Image Contra at a low volume for a stage monitor, but everyone hears me well enough and that is 27 lbs. I don't have to carry anymore.

Monte