Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A teacher having a drink on their lunch break

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 28, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What are your thoughts on a teacher ( Elementary through College) on his/her lunch break having a beer or two with their lunch at a local diner?.

2. I think its the same as any other job and it shouldnt happen. Alcohol consuption should be done on your own time, not working hours

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    As someone seriously considering teaching as a profession (at the junior-high or high school level), I wouldn't do it. I have no problem with drinking, but I think I can wait until the end of the day or the weekend.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Haven't been to many business lunches, have you? :D

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno, how many of you are teachers?

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    In America? It'll never happen. Booze is thought of like liquid evil.

But in other countries, why not. If a high school student can go get a beer in between classes, why not a teacher?

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What does that have to do with the original question?

brad cook

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The student is not responsible for classes full of students, the teacher is. Big difference.

brad cook

9. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Hmmm... I don't think a beer would make a diffrents... I mean no one really gets drunk of one beer (especially people who drink it before noon)

But i do think if you "HAVE" to have a beer at such early time a day not on weekend you might have a small problem...

My friend once told me a story how on sunday bunch of teachers were drinking at school and next morning cooks thought it was lemonade and served it to kids... they got 3rd graders wasted... because they didnt know there was vodka in it... now thats comedy at it's best...

NOW excuse me as i get stoned and go to school :)

10. My dad was an elementary school teacher for about 33 years (he's a principal now), and I'm pretty sure he would consider drinking on break an unprofessional thing to do. Not to mention, if parents ever got wind of something like that, there'd be hell to pay. I'm sure he's wished for a drink every now after a hard morning, but sometimes you just have to suck it up.

11. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    When I was in middle/high school ( late 70's-early 80's) some of my teachers used to booze it up on their breaks. It wasn't frowned upon because it never really got out of hand. We used to joke about it behind their backs. Come to think of it, quite a few of my teachers used to smoke in class, too. ( By smoking I mean tobacco, not the left-handed jazz cigarettes.)

If that were to occur in todays world, it would be all over the 11 o'clock news.

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I am sure parents nor your dad would not be able to tell if i had a beer or not during lunch break... lunch break is hour long... even if it does do anything to me in hour it will be gone... I don’t know if parents or anyone else should care if you still do your job 100%... and well do your job good... as long as there is no problem with your performance then everything should let it go...

Yeah but i dont think we should judge a person by what he does on his "free" time but by performance...

If teacher performs well but has a beer in break time i take him over a bad teacher who doesnt drink...

Cheers

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Damn you burned me, I got nothing. :D

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Yeah... most likely i will be a teacher and well before i quit cigz, I and every one else pictured me smoking cigz in class... Guess i did smoke a lot:/

i guess now I’ll have to settle for left-handed cigz in class:)

15. you are just opening to door to trouble by allowing it. who is to say they will stop at 1 or 2 or even 6? this is an all or nothing world. if you allow some you are saying yes to all. it is easier to say NO alcohol consuption during working hours then to say well you can have some but not too much and you have to make sure its effects are gone prior to you going back to work

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    If they have 6 they wont perform as good and you fire them based on their performance...

---PS
    Do i have a problem? i seem to post in these alcohol/drugs related posts a lot:/

17. so are you going to stand at the school doors and watch all teachers walk the line? how do you plan to moniter their performance?

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Way they/we should monitor all teachers... drink or not... we have a lot of bad teachers in our schools... Once again you judge them inside the class...

performance of kids in class...
    survey through out students...
    Kids talk...
    Watch teachers performance in class (they do that too)

Trust me principles or anyone for that mater can tell if teacher does his/her job... I can quote my friend who is principle in high school in trouble neighborhood... i mean really you can tell...

I am not saying having that drink is good... i think on human level if you have to have a beer so early in a day you might have a problem... but i also want people to judge others and especially teachers on how they do their job not what they do on break time...

19. I agree the teacher should not be judged for their actions on breaktime but on the same note they are responsible for providing a positive role model for the students in their class. and if a student happens into that same diner for his/her lunch to see their teacher sitting with a few brew at the table the wrong impression may come across. Drinking should be left for evenings and weekends.

20. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    That’s why they should serve beer in coke cups... :) :D

I agree with that... sure... But that’s like saying "people who have kids shouldn’t drink at all... because they are role models to their kids" Again their is big different between getting wasted and having a beer... and kids should understand it... If they don’t they should learn. I think kids are smarter then we actually think...

EDIT: and also if we dont hide that thing from kids they might not make a huge deal about it...