Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a tech question for ashdown owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by karmapunk, Jan 19, 2004.

1. karmapunk

karmapunk

Jul 15, 2003
    havana
    Ashdown EB 1x12 150 watt owners, to be exact.

I got mine about 2 months ago after hearing nothing but good reviews for it. Problem is, i'm still struggling with the bass. Do any of you guys find it really easy to distort the bass on that amp? If so, how do you control it?

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Is your bass active? Does it use a 9v battery? If so, install a brand new battery and see if that solves your problem. If not, check the speaker/speakers in the amp to see if a cone is torn. Pipe in a signal from a cd player to see if it reproduces the distortion. If it doesn't, it's coming from the bass. Check your settings too. If your bass is active and you have the bass pot turned all the way up and the same way on your amp, that could cause distortion too. Keep us posted.

3. karmapunk

karmapunk

Jul 15, 2003
    havana
    hey dwb, thanks for the response.

Sorry i didnt put this earlier:

the bass has passive pickups, but active circuitry (powered by a 9 volt battery). I bought the bass in august, still havent changed the battery. A bit off topic from the original post, but do most basses even last that long on one battery? (First active bass for me).

I checked the cone, definately not torn.

The amp has an input meter, and i've made sure that it never clips by keeping the input level down (but normally i pick a pickup and crank it all the way up).

I did put run a cd player into it, and found that if i cranked hte bass on my walkman, it the amp likes to distort. But when i crank the bass on my amp, there is no distortion. I find this really odd and inexplicable... Is this supposed to be happening?

DWB, what can u interperate of my results?

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

When you tried the walkman, did you turn up the volume all the way? If you did, it will distort. Try again at a nominal level and crank the amp and see what happens. Also try putting a new battery in the bass (it just may be old or spent) and see what happens. By the way, how many watts is that amp? Oops, you did say 150w!