Hey all, I was just asked to build a custom Tele style bass in 32 inch scale for a customer and I thought I would share this build with the TB crowd. For this bass it was decided that we would have a Maple neck and FB with a Walnut body along with a Curtis Novak Fatbucker in the neck position and a Tele bass pickup in the bridge. We are also going with a 32 inch scale. We decided that with this one we are going to keep some of the traditional features common to the originals with some modern updates thrown in as well. Our goal is to have a very cool, easy playing, fat sounding bass. This time I will start with the body. This first picture is of a template I made for this project. I based it off of a GL ASAT body. I am not sure that I will cut the inside of the lower horn as deep as the template shows but I like to be able to reach all of the frets. We will see how it shakes out later. Here is a picture of the neck and body blanks that just arrived from Exotic Woods out in NJ. The Maple is quarter sawn and very clean. The Walnut is that nice red/purple/brown color I love to see in Walnut. I get so much Walnut these days that looks gray. It is nice to see some good colored stuff once in a while. The first step for this bass is to cut the blank in half. Gidwani was so kind as to glue up a beautiful two piece blank but I want to remove some of the weight so I have to do some surgical slicing. After I get the faces off I plane down each side to make a nice smooth gluing surface. I only remove the minimum from the inside facing surfaces as I want the grain lines to line up when it all goes back together. I remove over all thickness to suit from the outside surfaces. The blank started as 2 inches thick but I am making this bass about 1 3/4 inch thick. I trace the template on the face of the back and on the face of the top so that everything lines up. I mark some reference lines down the side of each half so that I can align my tops and backs easily. I then chamber out the bass side of the body blank to remove some weight. I don't chamber the treb side as the rear routed cavity will remove most of the weight from that side. That will be done later. I then clamp the tops on, using the reference lines, and drill some small holes for my toothpicks that I use to hold the parts together while gluing. You can see that I have added a thin pinstripe off Maple between the top and back. I like the little detail it brings to the overall look when carved. I should explain the way the blank is shaped here. I cut the blank back so that I can get my clamps in deep enough to reach inside the shape of the bass. I also leave the edges squared off so that when I join the two halves together my pipe clamps will have flat surfaces to bite on. Keeps the halves from yawing side to side when glued and under pressure from the clamps. Now I took it all apart and glued on the tops. Next time I will join the two halves of the body together. Thanks for checking out my build.