A testament to Lakland and SansAMP in the studio

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Sanctum, Jul 2, 2004.

1. My band started tracking our new promotional EP last weekend at a great studio - SSL board, ProTools, etc. Anyhow while talking to the engineer beforehand he said he'd probably record me direct and then re-amp the bass later and mix the two.

I took my rack out with me and we decided to run a direct line from the Lakland and a line from the DI out of the SansAmp RBI. Did the tracking and he was really pleased - told me re-amping wouldn't be necessary as he loved the sound off the RBI. He also told me that the Lakland was one of the best basses he had heard in awhile. I got the rough mix today and the bass is killer. When the final stuff is done, I'll post some samples.

Lakland is a Skyline 55-02 in case anyone was wondering.

2. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Thanks for the post, I'm always looking for a better sound.
  3. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    I have a 55-02 and I love it!

4. HooBass

May 27, 2003
    I'm surprised I don't see any replies. I'll give one.

I really like this tune, and I can see why you're happy with the tone you've gotten.

First, regarding the tune. When I first listened it didn't strike me positively or negatively. I've since had it rotating along with others in my library while I listen at work. I've found I tend to get to know songs better that way instead of a "concentrated" first listen. I think the vocals are pretty strong, the dynamics of the song are cool, and all the components fit well together. My personal tastes are for a busier drumline, but that drives some folks nuts, so I know this is totally subjective. In the meantime, the drumline is solid.

Regarding the tone -- Yup -- Sounds nice and warm, a bit of grind in there (surprising to me given it's a 55-xx). I've been considering a Sansamp for a while (probably will be forever at my rate), and this helps.

5. Hey,

Thanks for the comments. I will say that what you noticed about the drumline is something I also deal with, but being a member that joined an established group, there is little I can do about this, except encourage practice and experimentation :D

We received our master yesterday, so I have replaced the above song with a new .mp3 ripped from that. I am also posting another song as I like the bass tone in it as well.

I'm surprised you think the 55-02's don't grind. Even with my old Eden rig the thing really had that bite. I own a black one exactly like posted above. I want a 4 stringer next. I could never get my Spector to grind like the Lakland. FWIW, I use Lakland strings on her.

We're very happy with these recordings. The last cd (full length) was done right before I joined the band at a less-than-par studio and we can hardly listen to it anymore. So this is progress for us as a group and we had fun doing it, unlike the stress of the past cd (which I caught the tail end of.)

Enough rambling! Here's the other song:

Panic Attack - Whirlwind
  6. Who says Lakland 55-xx's don't grind? My 55-94's Barts snarl like the damned bass is rabid when I boost the mids (5-10dB @ 500hz), toss in some low boost (3-5dB @ 50hz) and feed it to my Traynor YBA-200. I give it a bit more boost from an EBS Multidrive (set with the Drive at 10 and the Vol at 12 o'clock, standard mode) and if I really want to leave a wound I add a stage or two of further gain from my Fulltone Bassdrive (with both Overdrive and Boost at a conservative 4 o'clock). All of these sound very natural through the Traynor's quad of 6550's and my pair of Euphonic Audio CxL-112's put it all out loud and clear. I have this thing set for everything from warm tubeness to *seriously* fat grind. While the pedals push the front end like a guitar amp, giving me a guitar-like distortion pallate (and touch!), the bass all by itself provides plenty of thick juicy tube drive through this rig. If I require a more hi-fi sort of tube tone I merely have to cut the mids on the bass and roll the pickup selector to the middle or just past. If I want full-on grind I roll it all the way back (MM pup, both coils), boost the mids and dig in. Great stuff.
  7. odie

odie Supporting Member

I like it. The bass is very upfront almost to a Rush level!!!

Still Effect-Drums lack some dynamics but maybe that is what the style he is going for. Vocals are clear and upfront, but not over the top. I think the backgrounds could have been alittle louder especially towards the end. Bass tone was perfect for the tune, busy in places but tastful.
  8. HooBass

May 27, 2003
    I re-read my post and realized I understated how much I like Still Effect. I like it a lot -- Maybe it's grown on me in the last 24 hours, too. Also, RE my comments about the drums -- I think they're entirely fine, just not my (some would say too busy) taste. The accents during the chorus are cool -- Not what I would have come up with and that always intrigues me.

RE grind -- The proof's in the pudding, and there's grind in that pudding. I was basing my surprise on reviews of Barts that described them as "darker" and not for those seeking grit, grind, and growl. It's clear that's not black and white, and you've got a winner on your hands.

Now, on to listening to the new tune for a few days.

9. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Supporting Member

Sounds good Greg........"Still Effect" is spinning on my comp at work right now.
    I like melody and the overall feel of this song alot. I like the "air" in this track and I like the movement in the vocal melody and the clean guitar in the choruses. Your bass sounds really meaty and it's a good tone for a car radio too. That might sound kind of odd, but I have tracked what I thought was an amazing bass tone and then listened to the masters in the car and none of it comes through outside of a control room or huge stereo. You can hear the tone of your bass even on a cheap set of computer speakers and it's great when it comes through like that.
    I may have to break down and buy a Lakland, I'm still just playing Euro Spectors but the Music Store I manage just started selling Lakland, and now there's a 55-02 sitting here I'm dying to try live.
  10. Know whats weird? The engineer has a small boom box wired right out of the SSL board .. he listens to mixes through that as well as the studio monitors (not at the same time - just as another point of reference.) Then when we actually mixed the songs, he would burn a copy, listen to it in his computer, and send us outside to listen to it in our cars. And now I see why.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I've played metal for so long I'm still a bit unsure how to judge "rock" and while I like these songs I wasn't sure anyone else would, heh. :D
  11. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Good tunes & tone :)

That really is a nice mix with a sansamp, i use one too and plan to record in two weeks. Hmm just might have to bring it to recording sessions now!