Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A theoretical question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Mar 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK, all this talk about big festivals and headroom and loudness etc has made me think 'what could I get that would be loud, have tons of headroom, and look awesome?'. Well, I was browsing the Ashdown site and came across the MAG 810 cabinet and the 600 watt head. How much would that set me back IF I decided to buy both for doing big gigs and festivals?

2. You could also give your back (and your wallet) a break and go through the P.A. via a direct box. :)

3. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    well really, if i ever played big festival shows, i wouldnt need a huge rig cuz the PA would be doin the work.

or you could be like Fieldy and get eight 4x10's and four Mesa heads.

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

nICK ,
    how is this theoretical ?
    are you asking for advice on whether or not to buy this rig ?
    will you ever be happy ?

my advice , buy a good direct box and save the extra money .
    go buy something nice for your Dad ...

5. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I suggest you go in-ear and put washers and candy-machines behind you, exactly like Geddy. As loud as you want it (unproper use may cause hearing damage), lots of headroom and awesome looking too!

ANDRUCA

6. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    From what I can gether, you don't need a new big rig.... you're not at that stage in your er.... career... to warrant one... :rolleyes: :rollno:

Just enjoy your current gear and relax.... ;)

7. Why does everyone make it out as if I get EVERYTHING off my dad? Cut it out. Not one of you answered my question. The only reason I asked it was because I was discussing the MAG 810 with Tayste on AIM.

8. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Not the topic of the thread, man! And I DID indeed post some serious alternative (perfectly related to the post) which is also cheap in comparison (forget the laundry and snack machines, as they elevate costs too much just for the looks).

ANDRUCA

9. Your opinion duly noted. :)

10. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

sorry nICK ...

EDIT :
    i still don't understand how this is theoretical , maybe
    i missed the point ..

are you asking us about whether or not you should buy this rig ?

your'e gonna do what you want anyway , right ?

11. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Sorry guys for this one. I'm pissing on my pants at how at how hilarious, bizarre and "homo-neanderthalic" this thread became (now it's closed). Let's get this one closed too!!!! Party on!!!!

ANDRUCA

P/S: Nick, how does it feel to go back several centuries in human evolution and experiment this hormonal urge to punch peaople in the face? Has to be like the effing Time Machine, uh!?!?!?!?!?!?

12. Thirteen and a half stones of persistent inconsistency!! :D :D

13. I started this thread as a question really. I may start saving up to buy this rig, and use it for big big gigs, and use my MAG for smaller gigs. It was only a question.....

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Guys, grow up, ok? If a thread's closed, it's closed for a reason and everything from it is left there, ok? You're all just making asses of yourselves.
    Nick;
    Personally, I'd just get a D.I., as the festivals should have big PAs, and any rig you'd get would be for show/stage volume only.
    _IF_ you're 100% set on a big rig though, the 600W head and 8x10 is a good combo. I can't guess how much this will set you back in the UK though, sorry about that. You may want to look away from Ashdown as well into the likes of Mesa, Marshall, Ampeg, etc. etc.

Ray

15. Dude, what you need is a wall of 10 watt Gorilla amps. And one helluva splitterbox.

Then you can scale your rig to the gig. Marvy!

Oh, and a handful of Ashdown stickers to replace the Gorilla logos.

And a silver sharpie to draw on V.U. meters.

And Metallica logos.

And to write "Status" on yer Spector's headstock. You know, for more output.

It'll be sweet. ;) :bassist:

16. In an attempt to answer the question...the MAG 810 uses 8 Ashdown Blueline drivers, which (I think) are rated at over 100 watts each RMS. So, you have a cab that is rated at a minimum of 800 watts RMS. In my experience, a 600 watt head doesn't have enough headroom to properly drive an 800 watt cabinet. It will still be loud as heck, but the power amp will distort somewhat at the higher sound pressure levels.

I'd use a minimum of 800 watts, or a tube amp.

17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    For someone pushing 50, you have some serious balls telling someone else to grow up when you post junk like this. If Nick bothers you so much, why open his posts? Are you attracted to him, or something?

He doesn't have to justify where he gets his money to you. If he takes money from orphans and sets it on fire, what business is it of yours?

Is the problem that you are no match intellectually for people your own age, so you have to go after people 1/3rd your age? :confused:

:rollno:

18. A GMC Yukon Denali.

Or a Crate!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.