Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A thing for working on your time

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Lovebown, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    A neat excercise I've been doing a lot lately is this:
    I program a drum machine (that I got for free on download.com) to play 4/4 time with me. To this i will play either a melody to a tune, or walking. I preset set the drum machine to mute for x amounts of bars and then unmute it. The trick here is to keep the time without the machine and be exactly on the downbeat of 1 as the drumachine kicks in. This really makes you focus on keeping a steady swinging pulse.

Try doing this stuff while soloing.... can be damn hard ... oh well just a litte something to think about...

/lovebown

2. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Sure.. the working with the metronome as a reference is cool too. What I like about having to take care of the time yourself without a nome is you practice hearing the pulse and feeling it, and be able to be right on, but not spelling out the time by playing all the time (i.e. not playing 4/4 walking all the time). I suppose there are tons of excercises one could do here... Please share these

/lovebown

3. lcook

lcook

Mar 20, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Another cool thing to improve your time is to set the metronome to click on an odd beat, like the and of 3 in every measure. This is really useful when doing funk lines (this may apply more to BG, but oh well), playing a busy 16th note line with the metronome clicking on '4e' every bar is tougher than you may think.

--Larry