1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

a thought just came to me

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MNbassist, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Since the begginning plans of my new bass i have been intending to put a wenge/maple 5 pc neck with a walnut body and cocobolo top...i was thinking, rather than go out and have to buy wenge, cant I just use walnut, so it'll be a walnut and maple neck?

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Yes. You should get Black Walnut for the neck, since it has the best suiting properties. A really good neck wood, IMHO.

3. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Much nicer to work with as well. :D

4. DigthemLows

DigthemLows Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    It's what I'm using! It is easy to work with..........I'll let you know how it sounds in about a month.......
    My build thread

5. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    maple/walnut neck

pro:

* walnut is fantastic to carve and work with
    * walnut balances out the harshness of maple IMO
    * the light/dark/light/dark/light striping is aesthetically pleasing
    * walnut is significantly less expensive than wenge, and your fingers won't be full of splinters when you're done

con:

* maple & walnut expand differently, so you may feel the 'lines' later on (common to most all multi wood type laminated necks)
    * walnut smells icky when drum sanding
    * walnut dust can bleed onto the maple when oil finishing utilizing sand paper

Personally, I really like a maple/walnut neck and how it tempers the brightness of an all maple neck. I don't like the feel and workability of wenge.

all the best,

R

6. DigthemLows

DigthemLows Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    The smell is aweful when sanding.........I also found my hands burning a little after hand sanding......they never got red, just felt a little burn??

7. msherman

msherman

Nov 20, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
    Maybe I`m weird, but I like the smell of walnut when working it.
    Now Cocobolo is a different story....hate the smell of it.:meh:

I`m currently building a base with Movingui in it. It has to be the worst smelling wood I have ever worked with.

8. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU

I don't recommend wenge for this.. once I used it in a neck's center line, but chips out easily, hard to work with.
    and looks better as a top, or fingerboard.

9. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I use Maple/walnut almost exclusively for my necks. One thing you must remember. when sanding, the walnut will sand away quicker than the maple, so make sure you use a flexible backing when finish sanding, or you are liable to get inequities from maple to walnut. I use a thin piece if plastic behind the sandpaper. It conforms easily to my hand, and keeps the transtions level between the walnut and maple.

10. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    +1 on the backing

11. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Worse than Zebrawood?

I like walnut a lot, for all the same reasons as posted above. I also like how it looks, seeing as that reason hasn't been mentionned yet.

12. I am using walnut in my neck. Looks great.

lowsound